The beginning of my journey

Options
Jayne
Jayne Member Posts: 12
edited October 2011 in Newly diagnosed

It is a funny story how I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  My mum and I live a distance from the nearest mammogram centre, so she asked me if I could drive her to her checkup.  When I rang up to organise her appointment, the lady said why don't you have one as well, you're over 40. So I booked myself in for one as well, establish a baseline I thought, you know for when I have my next mammogram when I'm 50.

I received the letter on Monday saying there was an 'area of concern' in my left breast and could I attend the clinic on Wednesday.  Over the next two days the breast was pushed and prodded by me and my husband...we couldn't feel anything or see any changes.  Hubby said it was probably one of those false positives and we would be shopping by lunchtime.

Wednesday - the day my life changed.  I had more mammograms, ultrasounds and examinations by more doctors.  Just before lunch Hubby and I met with one doctor who dropped the bombshell that it was cancer.  'But there isn't a lump!" I said. There doesn't have to be.  I had DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) in other words calcifications in the milk ducts and it was over an extensive area.  I had breastfed my three children and had performed monthly breast examinations how did this slip past me.  I had a needle biopsy taken of the area, the results of which would be known two days later.

After lunch, which neither of us ate much, but spoke about how we were going to tell the children.  We met with a breast surgeon who was fantastic and answered Hubby's questions patiently and repetitively.  I just sat there and felt like the air had been sucked out of the room. 

My dad had died of cancer and all I could picture was him.  He hadn't been diagnosed until it was terminal and the surgeon took a long time to emphasis that mine was early breast cancer, but due to the size of the DCIS a total mastectomy was the only option. WHAT! Cut my breast off.  I am on the large size and my breasts were my one feature I was really proud of.

That night we went home and told the children, at first they thought we were getting a divorce...as if.  We followed the surgeon's advice and answered all their questions openly and honestly with as much knowledge as we had.  I then emailed all their teachers informing them what had happened; they have been brilliant supporting them and keeping a watchful eye on them.

We chose to only tell a small number of people until we had worked it through in our own minds.  We were having enough difficulty without having to deal with other people’s shock and reactions. 

Two days later we received the pathology diagnosis of DCIS from our local doctor.  By the time we had the appointment they had already organized an appointment with the breast surgeon and had further tests set up.

Then the journey really began…but that’s for another post.

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jayne,
    Welcome to our group. You can vent here all you like, and ask what ever questions are on your mind. There is likely to be someone who can guide you, or just empathise with you. We all know how you are feeling. Have you had your mastectomy yet? There is a lot to get your mind around, and everything happens so quickly. Thank goodness you were convinced to have a check up with your mum. It is always better to discover cancer while it is insitu, and has not spread outside the milk ducts. Please let us know how you are doing and what treatment you wil have. All the best.
    Love Chris xxx
  • Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jayne,
    Welcome to our group. You can vent here all you like, and ask what ever questions are on your mind. There is likely to be someone who can guide you, or just empathise with you. We all know how you are feeling. Have you had your mastectomy yet? There is a lot to get your mind around, and everything happens so quickly. Thank goodness you were convinced to have a check up with your mum. It is always better to discover cancer while it is insitu, and has not spread outside the milk ducts. Please let us know how you are doing and what treatment you wil have. All the best.
    Love Chris xxx
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to this site but sorry about your cancer news.My dad died of lung cancer in 2001 and then I got breast cancer in 2003.I have a theory that stress may play a part.I had a lumpectomy,full node clearance and then radiation.I was fine for 7yrs until it came back in the same breast,same spot last year.So had a mastectomy then chemo then onto Tamoxifen.2010 was virtually wiped off the calendar for me.Where are you up to?Ask any questions or vent your feelings as we understand what you are going through and may be able to ease your fears.

Tonya xx