Reconstruction Booked (DIEP flap)

Ann-Marie AK
Ann-Marie AK Member Posts: 166
edited September 2011 in Health and wellbeing

Hello my friends

It's a date!!! I'm booked in for my reconstruction on November 10th.  It's been 6 weeks now since I finished chemo and I have had some big decisions to make.  

First up - I have decided to have my other breast removed.  I have a strong family history of breast cancer and so feel this is the right decision for me.

Next decision was the type of reconstruction to have and this is where I get a little nervous.  I have decided to have the Diep (tummy tissue) rather than implant.  I've had a tissue expander in my left breast since March and I can't stand it. I really like the idea of using my own body tissue rather than an implant.  This will be very long surgery - about 8 hrs which is the scariest bit but it will all be done in the one operation.  My breast surgeon will remove my right breast then my plastic surgeon will step in and use my tummy fat to build two new breasts.  They will be a little smaller, C cup and I'm usually a D cup, but that doesn't bother me. I will be in hospital for a week, and it's about 6 weeks to full recovery so I should be feeling good for Christmas.

6 weeks post chemo and I am feeling pretty good.  Still battling with fatigue but learning to pace myself. The hot flushes are driving me nuts!  I had a bad case of the blues in the first few weeks after chemo but am past that now and I'm feeling happy again (most of the time).  All of a sudden my head is clearing after being in such a fog for the last 6 months.

So for the next 7 weeks I just need to keep looking after myself and make sure my body continues to get stronger for the marathon surgery that is ahead of me.

I hope you are all doing well.  I haven't been on much lately but now that I have made my decisions about surgery and am feeling better in myself I plan on checking in with you all more often.

Love

Ann-Marie xx

Comments

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015

Hi Ann-Marie, 

nice to see u back :) Jo & I were just speaking about you yesterday. Cant wait to see you at the Circle! :) 

WOW you have made some big decisions. Sounds like the right one though :) Oh yes the tissue expander is pretty irritating, implant is much better, but if i had some tissue to make my breast I wouldve chosen that too, i think :) Yours is a longer operation and a little longer to recover but it is just 1 operation instead of like 3 lol... yours will be over by xmas where mines taken like 9 months, so yes i think u made the right decision. 

But everyone does have to do whats best for them and what they feel is right. I had no choice. but like i said implant is soooooo much better, I still have 1 more surgery this year, hopefully December, where they do the nipple reconstruction and depending on how the implant drops and shapes over the next few months is depending if they play around with my remaining breast. 

My fatigue has gotten a little better, pace myself alot, daily walks & I've joined a gym :) and I think im sleeping a whole lot better because the tissue expander is out!!!! :) 

Anyway Chat soon, and what a great xmas present to get!!! 

Merylee

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Hi Ann-Marie,
    I understand what you are saying about feeling good about making your decision. Like you I spent ages analysing everything there was to know about all the different procedures, and even saw 3 different plastic surgeons. I just kept walking around in circles and felt I needed to make a decision in order to be able to move forward. I think the DIEP procedure gives the more natural type of breast, and I was really keen on that, but in the end have opted for the implants and tissue expanders, as I'm a bit of a chicken at the thought of such a long anaesthetic. I'm only a size B cup and like you, will be also having my other breast off at the same time. The relief I felt at finally deciding to do something and then booking it was amazing. I have my operation this Wednesday, and whilst part of me is scared, the other part is really glad that I am now doing something. For me it has been 9 months since diagnosis, and 6 months since chemo finished. Where will you be having your surgery, and who is your plastic surgeon?
    Love Chris xxx
  • Ann-Marie AK
    edited March 2015

Hi Merylee

Good to hear from you.  You sound like you are doing really well, good on you for joining the gym.  Ohh how I long for a good night sleep without the tissue expander bothering me every time I try and roll over.

You should have called yourself skinnysam (LOL).  For once I am grateful for the spare tyre I have around the middle.  No dieting for me at the moment, I obviously need to stay healthy but for the next few weeks I don't have to feel guilty if I have a 'pig out' now and then because I actually need the fat that's on my tummy.  After I recover I will be on a big fitness kick - at the moment it's just walking for me.  I can't wait to get back into swimming and pilates, I'd also like to take up yoga and go on some family bike rides.  We have a great bike track nearby that goes into Docklands, my kids love it.

Looking forward to the Circle and catching up.  How is Jo going after finishing chemo?

Ann-Marie xx

• Ann-Marie AK
    edited March 2015

Hi Chris

I just read you blog.  We have all had to make so many major decisions during this crappy time it can be really scary.  But you are so right, once the decision is made you feel a sense of relief.  It must be extra hard on you being a nurse as you would have seen a lot in your work.  Although I spent a lot of time weighing up all the pros and cons, I am still fairly naive in this area - not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I am having my surgery at Frances Perry House in Melbourne.  Bruce Mann is my breast surgeon and Dean Trotter is my plastic surgeon.  What about you?

Good luck with your operation on Wednesday.  I will be thinking of you.

Love 

Ann-Marie x

• Ann-Marie AK
    edited March 2015

Hi Tonya

I have started my Christmas shopping list. This will be my most organised Christmas ever.  My problem is that my kids will probably change their minds 5 times between now and then. My youngest in particular will really confuse santa!  

Ann-Marie xx

• Ann-Marie AK
    edited March 2015

Hi Tonya

I have started my Christmas shopping list. This will be my most organised Christmas ever.  My problem is that my kids will probably change their minds 5 times between now and then. My youngest in particular will really confuse santa!  

Ann-Marie xx

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Hi Ann-Marie,
    I'm having my surgery at th Sydney Adventist Hospital in Sydney. My breast surgeon is Trevor Currer and my plastic surgeon is Charles Cope. Only 3 more sleeps now.
    Chris xxx
  • sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015

Oh geee thanx Ann-Marie, 

Yes I am doing pretty well post-op of only 2 and a bit weeks. Cannot believe how well I am doing. My brains functioning a little bit better too :) About bloody time lol... Also helps not working at the moment (having 6 weeks off post-op as my job involves lifting and no lifting for me,) My job stresses me out a bit (in desperate need of a career change once im well enough, after my next surgery) 

Jo is doing well I saw her yesterday, her hair is growing back she's very excited!!!! :) Radiation & Hercepton drip is next for her & lets wish she doesnt react badly to that. She needs a break lol... But bring on Pinktober!!! We have heaps planned, its strange to think this time last yr I was finalising everything for my wedding last October now Im preparing again for another big October. lol...

• Ann-Marie AK
    edited March 2015

Hi Maria

Good to hear from you.  How are you going after surgery? If my calculations are right you must be 6 days post op. I hope all went well for you.  

I will keep the effexor in my mind if the hot flushes get worse when I start on Tamoxifen (which will begin a couple of weeks after surgery).

Take care

Ann-Marie x