More scared now than before starting chemo

JoB
JoB Member Posts: 8
edited July 2018 in General discussion
I haven't posted for a while, I got diagnosed in Jan 2018, had lumpectomy 23rd Jan and they also removed nodes.  I finished my chemo 22nd June and start Radiotherapy 23rd July for 5 weeks, 5 days a week.

My oncologist wants to start me on Zoladex injections this week and I'm really stressing myself out about them.  I didn't feel this stressed out when I started my chemotherapy and if I'm honest i'm really scared.  I'm not scared of the injection itself, I've been injecting myself twice a day with clexane since 24th Jan when I had a scan after surgery and had a clot on my lungs, that has gone now but I have to stay on the clexane until my radiotherapy has finished.  I'm scared of all the side effects that comes with the injection and I don't think I want to start them.  I'm going to see my GP on Saturday morning to discuss further, when my oncologist was talking to me about them I couldn't really take everything in.

Has anyone else been on the Zoladex and is it as bad as I'm thinking or am I stressing myself out over nothing?  
Tagged:

Comments

• Janet A
    Janet A Member Posts: 281
    I haven't been on Zoladex but was on tamoxifen if that helps lol....I was on it for one year until it started to make me nervous thinking about the side effects and long term effects. The only advice I can give you is to be as informed as you can be, ask the questions that are on your mind. If you don't get the answers go to another doctor. And do what is best for you. 
    I ended up going to a psychologist which you can access through either the Cancer Council or your breast care nurse, after what we have gone through no wonder we get the hibbee gibbees! Good luck x
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @JoB.

It's a bit like everything else on this train.  You never know how you are going to react and that's the scary thing.  Plus, there appears to be no end date like chemo and rads.  

I am on Tamoxifen and having a rough time but plenty of people don't.  Zoladex and exemestane is my other option if I can no longer handle this one,

You can always try it and see how you go.  If it's not good then you can stop and ask to try something else.  It's all in your control really and you can only make the decision you think is best for you.

xoxoxox
  • j9k
    j9k Member Posts: 98
    Hi @JoB, I was on Zoladex for 5yrs, after 4yrs tamoxifen - to which I developed a resistance resulting in BC recurrence and mastectomy. I was 38 when first diagnosed so tamoxifen chemically Induced menopause. Zoladex continued that. I had the menopausal symptoms of hot flushes, poor sleep. I had pre-existing depression so i don't know whether either or both drugs exacerbated that, or whether it was just the whole shitty cirumstances of BC and associated issues. Side effects were a bit tough and uncomfortable sometimes but I got help with sleep meds, counselling - hot flushes not so much. When I finished Zoladex I had my ovaries removed in a full hysterectomy as I was terrified of my body going back into oestrogen production as previous tumours were er+ & pr+. I still have menopause symptoms 2yrs later just as I had on Zoladex although not as intense.   Ask all the questions you need of your Onc, BC nurse etc to get informed. You could try Zoladex and see how you go - I'm not sure of your age but you could also discuss ovary removal with your Onc and the pros and cons of each. I did this and Onc advised there was no going back from removal so by trying Zoladex I would least get an insight into how my body reacted to the menopause state. If I could manage, removal could be considered if I chose.  I took Zoladex because I wanted to do everything I could to stop BC coming back and figured it was my best chance. I didn't want to be saying 'what if' down the track if I didn't. It's ultimately a personal decision. I'm happy to answer anything else if I can. I also had clexane for a period and they were awful! The Zoladex injection varied depending on who gave it. Some I hardly felt, others - ouch! I put emla/numbing cream on the spot where it was to be injected and that made it painless. If I remembered! I forgot to mention memory/brain fog as a side effect. I've become a bit of a wuss through my BC experiences so the cream made it easier to tolerate. One inconvenience was having to go the Onc ward each month to get it although some gps are able to give it. None of them at my clinic - a women's clinic - were! Go figure! Anyway, I wish you all the best. There's always this horrible anticipation before a treatment and often its not as bad as we worry. It's the unknown that's hard. And everyone's experience is different, so it's hard to get difinitive answers. Take care and I'll answer anything else I can.  :)
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @JoB I can't really comment on side effects of hormone therapy as I'm not there yet.  I think as others have said, remember that everyone is different and you may sail through without an issue (I'm crossing my fingers that I do).  And also remember that there will be a lot of women who don't comment on their therapy because they don't have side effects.  I think that it's easy to forget that the posts here are often because there is some sort of issue/question and those that don't have any problems, don't post.  
  • Tennille
    Tennille Member Posts: 174
    I was on Zoladex and had no side effects whatsoever.