What's been happening.

Options
primek
primek Member Posts: 5,392
Well not too much.

Hubby and I had a recent 3 day bike trip alone which of course is challenging to take a photo of both of you so sorry nobe of us on the bike.

Work has been very busy.
Lots of staff shortages (5) meaning of course less people to do the same work. Building work happening around us resulting in hours and hours of Jack hammering, grinding and dust. It's just been horrible.

I had the black dog hovering around. It's partly winter plus ongoing workloads. Last week my boss asked how I was going and I just burst into tears. My sleep is off. I'm struggling with my exercise as I'm so tired and my food has slipped back...again  as it takes physical  and emotional energy to keep those things in check. I took a couple of days off.

Aah then  there still is the fear of recurrence that simmers just below the surface. I had my recent oncology appointment and now as I'm 2 years post chemo next month and 2.5 years  since surgery,  my next appointment is in 12 months. I'm also on 12 months with breast surgeon. So it means I see someone 6 monthly. Fabulous right? Yessss...but then we worry it's not enough. 
Then this week I found what I initially thought was a collarbone enlarged node. Nothing like that to scare the bejeebas out of you. But no...I realised it is scar tissue from my port line. Sigh. Head games.

Exercise wise I'm progressing even if I'm currently in a bad week. I've started doing pump classes through the YMCA. I was watching through the door and realised its not a fast paced class and it's filled with women 50 plus. It's intended to help with bone strength. So in I go. I do on a Thursday....which means if buggered Friday it's only 1 day of work to drag myself through. The first week I found the only area not hurting was my face...lol. Who knew you had muscles in your armpits. I used very light weights initially as you use your body weight anyway and move up as fitter. I can't believe my body change. My thighs are so strong now. I can lunge now and get up. I can get on the floor and get up into a lunge and up with no need to use my arms.  I still struggle with a push up.... thankyou reconstruction ...but I'm getting better.
I've started swimming again when the cold doesn't get to me. It's not the pool, just the changing into bathers  and being so dark when I finish work. I do my own gum workout with my sis on Saturdays and aquafit Sunday. Eventually I hope to do one more structured exercise day but not yet.

So life does go on after treatment.
Fitness takes time and persistance.

Self care is important and my recent melt down has highlighted I need to do that again despite work pressures.  Take time out to get in the sun. Have a walk at lunchtime. Meet a friend for coffee. Take a moment for yourself.

So my friends. Remember to look after you. You are all important.

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Thanks Kath. This BC stuff is exhausting if you focus on it and it is very hard not to. The tyranny of distance...such a mixed blessing. I'm nowhere near as remote as you--only 300 km to the surgeon--so being told you don't need to go is great, but that isolation from the experts is still a concern. The up side is the strong links to your immediate community which are rarer in Metro areas. Good luck, go you good thing. Mxx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,579
    Options
    AWESOME @primek  ..... well done on the bike ride - hubby had threatened that with me (NOT my idea of fun!!)   Luckily, with his dementia, he's forgotten he ever suggested it!  LOL

I am in awe that you are still working - one of my uke buddies asked how I was going - & I blubbed too!   This bloody disease has a lot to answer for ....  I hope the black dog has left the building!! ;) 

Yes, the mind really does play games on us - I had a scare recently & was relieved last week to get the 'all clear' .... so know how you felt!  

Well done on your exercise regime - I just don't have the patience!  LOL  I go kayak fishing - so using legs for pedalling the kayak & heaps of arms & shoulders for the casting & retrieving ..... 

I used to love swimming ..... but I hate it now!  I hate that it gives me ear aches.  I hate the cold ..... I've not owned a swimsuit since the late 70s ... I wear shorts & a rashie!  ;) 

YES!!   So life does go on after treatment.    Fitness takes time and persistence.

Find what you love doing best - and do the best you can at it!  ;)   xxxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Fascinating post about life two years down the track. Thank you. K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    It's good to hear your voice again @primek.  How far did you get on your bike trip? Like @arpie, not something I would do - my bike is one of those retro cruisers, definitely made for slow speed on flat ground!
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
     Ice to hear from you. I’m 7 years on and at times (not to often) have those unsure moments. Good for you with all the exercise. Lovely photo. 
    Hugs. 
    Paula xx
  • primek
    Options
    Bike trip was to tbe Riverland  @Sister so around 800k. We will be doing a big trip in October to Great Ocean Road. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,579
    Options
    HOLY COW!!  800k!!  That's amazing @primek !!   How was your accommodation arranged?  Pre-arranged, I hope!

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @mum2jj "Unsure moments", that's a good way of putting it. K xox
  • primek
    Options
    Oh yes @arpie no camping these days. Motel booked in advance.
  • primek
    Options
    @arpie I never swim without ear plugs. I paid for a pofessional molded pair. I was constantly getting ear trouble prior tbat. I also wear a cap as well which helps. However aquafit doesn't usually require earplugs and if you push yourself its great cardio and superfun. So maybe look at that. Kayak sounds fun but alas no sea or even a river close to me. 
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Wow! 800km . Incredible . Good for you and great to hear you’re two years down the line . It’s up hill and down dale with bc at times . Take care XX 
  • primek
    Options
    @Afraser funnily enough I changed jobs just prior bc diagnosis for that reason. After returning to work after treatment I tried living on 4 days a week but with sons still home it wasn't sustainable financially. The short staff has made me feel that this job is a little like my old job but for much less money.  However I'm planning on being more disciplined in my self care again. I have to continue to remind my self that the issues on the floor aren't mine to solve (but its frustrating when solutions are glaringly obvious). I have called the  union about work issues and staffing levels are being rapidly looked at. It's annoying it has to have that pressure to solve it. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    That all takes emotional energy to do @primek - that's why we often end up just doing it ourselves (much like kids and chores).  But 800km - serious WOW!
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @primek u r an inspiration xoxo