CA 15-3

Options
wenno05
wenno05 Member Posts: 27
edited July 2018 in General discussion
Hi, I haven't be on for awhile, so just when I thought things were getting back to "normal", I had a blood test and CA15-3 was something they tested for, it is a cancer marker in the blood, mine was 46, it seems less than 30 is normal, now I am going for scans. If anyone has any information that I should ask oncologist that would be great. Thanks heaps xx
Tagged:

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    They usually don't use the  ca15-3 test unless you have mestatic cancer as it is a highly inaccurate blood test that actually very rarely picks up development of metastatic disease. The level can go up with simple things like a cold symptom. If it was accurate we'd all be doing them with annual breastscreen as an early surveillance /detection tool.

Even for women with mets its not accurate. Showing low when mets are progressing and high when stable. So go figure why they use it at all really. But presently it's all they've got I suppose.
  • wenno05
    wenno05 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I know I have never been tested before. It's blown me away though, so worried about it