Rapid mass growth no diagnosis yet

Auntieshell78
Auntieshell78 Member Posts: 11
edited June 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi All,
I am totally new to this group and would really appreciate your experience.

I am 40 this year, small 5mm breast lump identified in left breast last year. Rechecked this week and its grown to 17mm in just over 6 months. Its so deep i cant feel it. I intially went for issues with my right breast. I Had an ultrasound and mammogram and for a biopsy on monday. I have never been tested for Brac genes. My maternal grandmother died from ovariam cancer. I have had carcinoma insitu of cervix and resulting hysterectomy and then vulvectomy and anal surgery too in my 30th year, due to hpv and abnormal cells for years and years. I have other chronic health issues but essentially am a busy mum who never sits or stops. Im a nurse and am currently jumping from not concerned to very concerned. I would love your advice. Thanks xx
Tagged:

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi and welcome. We all understand that horrible time at the beginning, when wondering fills our every waking thought. It won't be cancer, it will be cancer, it will be, it won't be... Dreadful. Unfortunately there's nothing for it but to wait. Some people find meditation helps (I use the Headspace app on my phone), but my main tool was distraction. Try to do things that you enjoy, keep busy (not hard with kids, I have four!), lean on your friends.

You've had your health issues, and you're a health professional (we have a few of those here, @onemargie and @JoeyLiz spring to mind), which I would imagine has some positives and negatives when faced with a situation like this. Try not to cross bridges until you come to them, stay present as much as you are able. You'll find the same phrases come up a lot here, one day at a time is one of them.

I hope your time here is short but if it's not, we'll be with you every step of the way. Hang in there Shell and let us know how you get on. K xox
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Hi @Auntieshell78 - welcome!

It sounds like you have a really pragmatic and positive outlook as you’ve been able to manage chronic illness over the years and live life as a busy and active mum and health professional - that’s absolutely awesome. 

It’s difficult enough for those of us who don’t have medical knowledge to have all the possibilities racing around our heads when we’re waiting for results - I can imagine that it’s even harder for those in the know. 

Hopefully you won’t have to wait too long for your biopsy results - it’s great that they’re doing it on Monday - that’s not too far away and will be one step closer to some answers for you. 

Trying not think about it and be occupied with something else is really hard - jumping on this forum, chatting to others and doing research is what kept me going prior to results. 

Wishing you all the best and please let us know how you’re doing. 

Xxx

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Thinking of you as you as you await your results @Auntieshell78

The waiting is the worst part, I reckon.     One day at a time ... keep doing what you love in the mean time - and fingers crossed it all comes back clear.  xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Now you're on the  dreaded wait for results to find out what it is. @SoldierCrab has great links she'll add for you.

Even if it turns out all okay. Now might be the time for a breast surgeon review for future screening planning and a referral to a genetic counsellor to discuss  your genetic risks and if appropriate be tested. Not all ovarian cancer is genetic related and cervical cancer isn't a link to breast cancer. As awful as it has been. Please let us know how you get on. Kath x
  • Auntieshell78
    Thanks so much. I guess knowing a bit medically is tricky. Oncology isnt my field of work but its more the subtle looks of the practitioners doing the ultrasound and mammogram. I know that look. Tonight i feel totally confident its nothing. Tomorrow i will be second guessing myself. Im only worried about how the growth has tripled in 6 months even though its small compares to what I have read of other members. I just wish i knew more like do cysts grow that quickly. And would it look like a cyst. Im being silly now I know. Thanks for your wishes
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Hi @Auntieshell78, sorry you're here, and for your sakeI hope it's a short visit, but in the meantime,  welcome!
    I, too, am a nurse, so if you want to chat in lingo, send me a message sometime. Our knowledge can be a 2 edged sword, can't it? Like you, oncology is not my specialty, sowhilst I gave myself away as a nurse throughout treatment,  I made it clear that I know nothing about my disease prior to diagnosis.
    As @primek said, whatever the outcome on of Monday's biopsy, it's probably worth looking into having a coversation about genetic risk.
    Take care
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Cysts are usually obvious on scans but there are other growths that occur in breasts that are benign like fibroadenomas. Hopefully you will have results very soon. Scans also aren't perfect for measuring things as it can be totally positional so don't focus too much on that. Just be glad it is now biopsied and you will hopefully have a definitive result. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community
    formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

• Auntieshell78
    Thanks so much everyone again. I just have to take a chill pill and stop over analyzing until next week. My biopsy is on mon at 9am so hopefully by wed or thurs I should habe results and then will have loads of questions. You have all been wonderful. Thanks xxx