Heading for the 2018 Project LEAD Course in California

Options
traveltext
traveltext Member Posts: 253
edited July 2018 in General discussion

Just heard that I've been granted a scholarship to attend the Project LEAD Institute course in La Jolla, California in July. With around 50 attendees, and likely as the only guy, this is quite a big deal for me. I'd have to say that my BCNA training helped me make the cut, for sure.

THE COURSEThe Project LEAD® Institute is a six-day intensive science course, designed for the lay public to train breast cancer advocates. The course covers the basics of cancer biology, genetics, epidemiology, research design and advocacy, and provides a foundation of scientific knowledge upon which participants can strengthen and empower themselves as activists. Taught by renowned research faculty, this is a unique opportunity for those interested in learning more about working as an NBCC research advocate as well as providing the tools for activists.

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Wow that is incredible! What a feather in your cap. Well done. Can't wait to hear all about it! Kate xox
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Wow. Sounds amazing. Well done on being accepted, and make the most of the experience
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @traveltext congratulations that is great news!  Look forward to hearing about your course and experience on your return.  All the best.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    Congratulations. What a fine advocate you already are, how awesome for you. 
    Paula x
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @traveltext - congrats - huge achievement 
  • steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Options
    @traveltext Congratulations  great opportunity to add your voiice thoughts and experience 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    We couldn’t have a better advocate .Keen to hear any news you bring back.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Fab! Keep at it. Just think of all those new neural connections you're making! Well done.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Sounds really interesting @traveltext
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    I'd imagine copious amounts of notes and a touch of exhaustion from all the concentrating but extremely beneficial!  Excellent!
  • Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Congratulations @traveltext on the scholarship (Belatedly) and thanks for sharing about how it is going! What a great opportunity for you and then for us as you share what you learn on your return. Hang in there and enjoy the social side of the course as well.   
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Congrats on not only securing the scholarship, but in actually getting over there and getting involved.1/20 men to women isn't too shabby! TF you were not the only one, though I'm sure you would have handled it with aplomb if that was the way it played out.

I've done some intensive training with Cancer Australia which was heavy on the science component. That was a week in Sydney, which is hardly California. But then I didn't have to spend all that time in a plane not playing well with others either, which was probably in everyone's best interests

It's a bit bewildering to start with but if you haven't got a handle on the terminology and some of the processes you run the risk of being the token consumer which is definitely not were we want to be. It AI now or nothing if I'm asked onto a project. That early training and the connections you build with the other participants are invaluable. Good on you! Are you coming to the Melbourne conference on the 11th?