Exercise

danielle ghilardi
danielle ghilardi Member Posts: 204
edited September 2011 in Health and wellbeing

I had expressed my interest in a clinical trial that is looking at exercise and muscle strength that reduces the risk of reoccurence in bc patients.

The trial is taking place in Brisbane so unfortunately I will not be able to participate, however I spoke with Cameron McDonald the man behind the trial and he explained the importance of exercise.

I think i need to go for a run... I am so unfit.

Comments

• hb
    hb Member Posts: 112
    edited March 2015

Do it. exercise is soooo important, with or without breast cancer. To improve your cardiovascular (heart/lung function) fitness, alternate walking and jogging. If you're really unfit, try one minute walking, 30 secs jogging. And then keep increasing the ratio (week by week; increasing about 10% per week) until you can slow jog for a few minutes and fast jog for a minute. If you do this for (say) 30 minutes a day, your fitness will improve in leaps and bounds. But wait, there's more: you can accelerate your fitness (and increase your fat-burning capacity) by doing strength training 2 or 3 times a week. You don't need to go to the gym, just use your body (squats, triceps dips against a bench, lunges, push-ups etc.) Even 15 mins (2 or 3 times a week) will make a huge difference. You'll feel stronger because you will be stronger.

Good luck; set yourself a goal and start today. Don't be mean to yourself, stop when you need to -- just always be ready to start again!

Heather

• danielle ghilardi
    edited March 2015

Thanks Heather,

I am definately going to take your advice on board. I was told to see an exercise physiologist because i have no idea but it really sounds as though you know what your talking about. I will take the dog out after dinner she'll be happy.

Do you do much exercise? Did you exercise before your diagnosis? Sorry for the questions i hope you don't mind.

I will keep you updated how it all go's...

Danielle xx

• hb
    hb Member Posts: 112
    edited March 2015

I love my exercise. I do outdoor fitness classes, distance running, weights, yoga, cycling and pretty much anything else! I had to tone it down a bit during chemo (eg walking instead of running) but never totally stopped. I think it really helped me get through the treatments. Two weeks after finishing my 8th chemo I started running again, and I'm cycling to my radiation appointments.  I feel fine. My friends think I'm being disciplined about it but I only exercise cos it makes me feel so much better, and in charge of my body. I sleep better too...

Great idea to see an exercise physio, just do some fast walks til then. Go well, can't wait to see how it goes!

H

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015

Hi , yes I agree about trying to keep fit physically( flexibility, strength and endurance.)

This journey is also a mental challenge too.

I find my energy levels go up and down, now. One day i feel more energy than others. I try and go " with the flow " too.

Well I am now 55. I was 42 when i had chemotherapy. Now i am definitely post menopausal and feel like i am ageing quickly.

Still i am trying to find ways to delay the ageing process with diet, attitude, breathing fresh air, keeping calm and letting go of some stresses.

Do not beat yourself up about it. We are not perfect, just trying to do our best I figured.

Yoga and meditation, or time to reflect helped me.

Now I do need to do some strength training, but I also have to be careful with some slight lymphoedema in my upper body, since lumpectomies on both sides and some node clearance on both sides too.

Weight is becoming an issue as I have noticed my metabolism  has slowed since menopause too. I am about 160 cms ( 5 foot 3 ") and WAS 62 kgs, now I am 65kgs ! I should be under 60. ( ideally about 56kgs ) I can sit and day dream the day away if I am not careful! It is much easier to do these days.

My muscle strength has lessened too, I have noticed especially the last couple of years. I have been thinking I need to do some light weight training. I read it is best to do it SLOWLY too.

You do lose condition quickly. Thanks for the information on walking, then jogging etc.( interval training )

I have to be careful of joints too these days as have much less cushioning in my feet, and knees "creak ". We are crackin' up !! LOL.

Today I am going to a spa pool. It is the first time I have been, as I usually only like to tread water in the sea in summer. Water therapy I find is gentle on the joints but can tone you, or it does me.

Well it is colder in Tasmania for longer, and it has been a long winter!

Take care, do not rush in and do damage, especially after some surgeries and treatments, etc.

• danielle ghilardi
    edited March 2015

Hi Heather,

Thankyou so much for your tips. I went for a walk with my daughter and the dog last night and we would jog and then walk like you said and it was actually pretty fun. We really enjoyed the time together and felt heaps better when we got home. (although my legs hurt today)

I realised that i am actually pretty fit i surprised my self but my daughter needs the exercise she is stuck in her technology world and would not leave the house if she did not have to. So we are going to try and make it a daily thing.

I cannot believe that you cycle to your radiation appointments... you are an inspiration and it go's to show that this cancer is what you make of it.  I think that it is great that your still able to get out there and enjoy life and i am going to try and do the same.

Danielle xx 

• danielle ghilardi
    edited March 2015

Please let me know how the spa pool go's. I have never heard of it and am very interested!!!