Calling all cold frogs

Romla
Romla Member Posts: 2,092
Not sure if this is allowable @Giovanna_BCNA so please delete if not. Is darned cold in the Adelaide Hills atm.Last year I bought 200 gm Australian merino wool thermals online from Base Layers in Hawthorn Melbourne and love them.They don’t feel like I’m wearing a suit of armour and they wash well.In fact they look like a LS T shirt which is why I am buying 3 more now they are 40% off -around $30 - they come in black , navy , cream and pale pink.The discount code is layer40 . I am quite warm with a thermal and light polar fleece outside in the daytime. PS I am not associated with the business in anyway . Just thought might help someone else feeling the cold like I did.

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Any sort of alpaca socks and beanies for me @Romla Just for bed, they are so prohibitively expensive I won't get them grubby. Also men's Bonds or Aldi singlets that are long enough to cover my butt. Just like Grama used to wear. An Edinburgh Scot, she knew what worked to keep your bits warm :)
  • Romla
    Oh @Zoffiel - my husband says I am like sleeping with a cadaver. I feel the cold badly wish your suggestions were enough - I wear socks to bed and some nights my uggs , we sleep under flannelette sheets with 750g wool quilt and the piece de resistance a coral fleece blanket. Cotton singlets just don’t do it up in the Hills has to be wool.PS Coral fleece is a new discovery and it really makes a difference - even bought the blokes coral fleece pjs at Kmart.But during the day my wool thermal is sublime -warm as toast but not drowning in layers or weight.

Think your are a fitter lady than me and don’t feel the cold as much.
    X
  • Zoffiel
    Hot . Water. Bottle. Also a Grama remedy. I sleep on my own most of the time so I can kick it  hither and nether as it suits me. One is good, two is better (one at my feet, one at my hip) 
  • CarmelS
    CarmelS Member Posts: 268
    OMG this makes me laugh. My hubby & youngest have gone off camping up the Putty Road (Colo NSW) to watch middle boy in a 4wd comp. I have just been across the road to a girlfriend for a couple of beverages , now am sitting here in   21* comfort in some comfy pj's. When we camp away in cooler times I am laughed at by fellow campers about my very warm comfy bed........high stretcher with a reflective car sunscreen under a super comfy (read v. expensive ) self inflating mattress, woollen blanket under sheets,woollen blanket, woollen Şdoona, then cotton blanket to top it all off !! If its too cold to sit around a camp fire for too long I can deploy 2 hot water bottles. I'm sure Zoffiel will attest to the fact that when its really cold a water bottle actually hold its warmth for a very long time.....oh & I wear thermals to sleep in !! 
    I'm fine in the day time .....quite often get about in a T-shirt.but cannot do cold sleeping !!!
    Cold in the nations capital.
    Carmel
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    If you have access to a Uniqlo store I can thoroughly recommend their Heat Tech range. Incredibly light weight, in a range of styles, and incredibly warm. I gave one to my very dubious mother and she is a total convert. She feels the cold very badly and tells me she hasn't stopped wearing it since I gave it to her a month ago. Not too expensive either, and often on sale.
  • Romla
    I so wish we had uniglo here. Bought a uniqlo ultra down houndstooth coat online but did not understand sizing however gave it to a lady from breast cancer group here who got me walking and she loves it.
  • Zoffiel
    Reflective car sunscreen @carmels that is bloody brilliant! How good would that be under the mattress in my swag, and it would hardly weigh anything. God knows I can never remember to put the bloody thing up on the windscreen...
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I'm definitely a cold frog so I'm bookmarking this page for future reference!  What's the sizing like for the thermals @romla and @kmakm?...  my main annoyance with buying online.  We're mostly snug here in our house in the Adelaide Hills - fire is on 24/7 and has been mostly for the last 2 months.  Not inviting to go outside, though.
  • Romla
    @ sister sizing good for Base Layers wool thermals and they wash well dry quick and I like that it’s stretchy and not constraining movement.I am wearing size large and am about a size 16.Uniqlo is fantastic stuff esp their ultra light down vests and jackets but be very careful with sizing as is Asian sizes.Gather they might be opening a store at Burnside Village this year be best to wait until then -might see you in the queue opening day !
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Sister Uniqlo sizing tends to be smaller due to being a Japanese brand. They do go up to an XL though, and being a singlet I don't think it matters if they're a bit snug.
  • Romla
    I gave my elderly lady neighbour a uniqlo men’s ultra down vest I bought from the op shop whichshe  wears every day. It’s MENS medium and she’s about a size 16 and about 5 foot tall. I have seen SOME  ladies uniqlo can go to xxxl but my gorgeous houndstooth coat was a costly mistake. I think ladies xl uniqlo might be about a size 14 Australian.
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Thanks @Romla for the tip on the wool underwear.  I have some super fine ones by George's Lingerie, also Aussie made. I will check out the Base Layers website. Thanks for the tip - Winter has come with a vengeance.  Anne.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    If any of you have Aldi near you they often have merino  or cotton blend thermals for men/women and children I love them as here in Bathurst we need them in winter non restrictive in movement and not overbearing in weight etc.