My first Gyno visit. What happens?

Hi ladies

I have to see a gynocologist today to sort out my endometrium polyp - good times - and I have never been to one before. Shameful I know. At my age I should know better *hides under blanket* 

What happens when you first go in and meet the gyno? Is it a quick hello and then you get probed and prodded? Or is the first appt just talking? I am scared of anything creepy going on because I have no other experience with gynocologists and nothing to compare this to. 

Please tell me rational stuff that wont feed my anxiety  :D

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    Hi!  No one likes going to the gynaecologist regardless!  I suggest you ring 

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

they are nurses online that will help you with this delicate question.  Ask for coping mechanisms so that you are at ease
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Hey Summer, I will confess I have only seen one once *hides under the blankie with you*  and it was a long long time ago.  He was really nice, we talked for a bit and he took my history and made me feel at ease, and then he got me up on the table for the examination.  
  • Piccme
    Piccme Member Posts: 68
    @Zoffiel, without a doubt you make me laugh. You manage to say exactly how it is!
  • Summer Prevails
    Summer Prevails Member Posts: 82
    @Zoffiel hahaha that made me laugh and I needed that! 

It turned out to be a surprise Pap smear from a 14 year old registrar, a young lass who zoomed through the whole process and managed to imply that I was fat, old and barren *sigh* 

I didn’t have any other examination except for the brief invasion of the smear. She booked me in for a hysteroscopy and polypectomy and gave me a consent form to sign and then raced off! A confusing experience. 

First pap smear ever on my first gyno visit. Fabulous day. *returns to blankie fort with milo*