Chemo still sucks on taxol

Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
I'm almost halfway through my taxol cycle and so OVER it.  Day 4, yesterday...I borrowed my SILs hedge trimmer and pruned some of the overgrowth from around the house - had a break halfway so didn't push myself hard.  Went for a walk in the forest with the family - 3km but over 15 minutes per km so a gentle stroll, really.  Came back and had lunch, then spent about 15 minutes raking the morning's prunings into rough piles, making sure I didn't push myself too much.  Spent most of the rest of the day laying down because sitting or standing was just too hard and made me feel so crook. I ended up going to bed (as opposed to draping myself decoratively over the couch) at 8:30pm!  Bah Humbug!

Comments

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hey love it’s shitty isn’t it. Im hearing you love. So you have 6 more to go? Let’s count them down  and we will climb up this shit covered mountain together.  Listen to your body love. You’ve done so well even though you might not feel that way. Hang in there big hug. Margie xx
  • Sister
    Hanging in there, Margie - by my fingernails.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Sister Taxol is beyond shit! I remember coming straight from Fec and being hospitalized after each of the 4 infusions 3 weeks apart. Taxol wasnt too bad the first few weeks, then I found I had zero reprieve, by my 5th infusion and I had 8 I couldnt walk anymore even to the letterbox. I was housebound my body had given up, so what you described you did was massive and impressive on Taxol. Try listen to your body, once I let go and did what it needed I managed to get through a day at a time until the end. Being active is important of course but sometimes our bodies just want to rest and heal. xoxo
  • Sister
    That makes be feel better @melclarity.  I know we're all different and I shouldn't compare but I often feel like I should be thinking about going back to work, at least part-time, and then I experience something like yesterday, and know that there is no way I could cope at work.  The drive there to drop the kids off is more than enough. ("Seven more treatments" she repeats in a chant...)
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @sister - which taxel is it? The docetaxel like I had or the paclitaxel. I know my docetaxel ended up with symptoms lingering longer. I am 1 week post my final one and I still have a headache, bone pain and I I do any kind of cardio feel like I might have a heart attack. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited June 2018
    This whole thing sucks big time G. I'm so sorry that you are stuck with this almighty revolting slog. All I can say is keep your eyes on the prize. The pulse is the thing! Try not to compare yourself to others, we're all so different and each one of us is an individual and responds in our own particular way. One day at a time; I just wish I could press fast forward for you. K xox
  • Sister
    I wish I could fast forward, too !  Wishing my time away... (It's Paclitaxol)
  • Kiwi Angel
    @Sister u will get there. U r so close to the halfway hump and once u have got there it’s all downhill. 
  • Sister
    That's what I'm telling myself.
  • duxx1234
    duxx1234 Member Posts: 128
    I’m really struggling too @Sister. I’ve got four more Paclitaxel to go and am finding the lack of energy, breathlessness and now peripheral neuropathy all too much at the moment.  So over it and I have 30 doses of radiation to look forward to!  Feeling very sorry for myself  at the moment but it’s difficult to stay upbeat and positive when you are feeling this way. Unless you have been through it, you just don’t  get it!

• Josephine66
    Josephine66 Member Posts: 79
    Same here. Im on paclitaxol too. Just had dose #8 with 4 to go. This has seriously knocked the crap out of me. I had a week off between #7 and #8 to give my body a break. Have suffered from day 1 with extreme muscle swelling, muscle pain, bone pain and fluid retention. Week off did me the world of good and now my dose has been reduced by 25%, so pain has reduced. Still fatigued but that i can deal with. If nothing else this chemo journey teaches you patience because all that matters is that we allow our bodies to rest as needed and be kind to ourselves because we're worth it. Xx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Kiwi Angel Taxol is Palitaxel and Docetaxel is Taxotere, they are similar but different.

Taxol can be tricky as it causes, muscle, nerve and bone pain, I suffered all of it, so there wasnt a day where it let up. It is a very hard one to get through, you dont know how you do but you absolutely will. I have residual neuropathy in my feet that hasnt changed in 2.5 years. Just do a day at a time, that's the only way I managed it. xo
  • Kiwi Angel
    @melclarity. I consider myself lucky with o hwve had TC as there are many chemo drugs that are tougher, like the taxol obviously - mine was bad enough - I feel for u ladies xo
  • MaryB83
    MaryB83 Member Posts: 45
    Oh my gosh @Sister reading this makes me feel somewhat normal! I was only saying to my onc last Thursday that I don't feel like I'm over doing it until it's clearly too late and I'm completely buggered and feeling crook! Good luck! Hope you have more good days than bad
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @Sister, I  had 15 lots of Paclitaxel. I couldn't  wait to finish my dose at the hospital and go to work, even if just for a couple of hours. It did make me feel very fatigued so that I  had to have a little nap in the afternoon.
    I was meant to have 18 lots but my finger and toe nails started to look very strange.
    I still went for walks and to twice weekly aquarobics classes. I won't  let anything beat me!
    I am now taking Capecitabine (Xeloda). My fingers are peeling and my feet are tender but I have so much energy.