iPrevent- estimating your personal risk of developing breast cancer

Options
Artferret
Artferret Member Posts: 259
Just saw this on a morning tv show and looked it up on the net. Haven't drilled down into it yet but it sounds interesting. It does state that it shouldn't be used if you have had invasive BC or DCIS. ( well that counts me out, funny that) But it would be a good tool for those who think they may be in line for BC ( or maybe it would just freak you out, one of those do you or don't you moments) and lead to a discussion with their GP. I'm thinking of our 2 daughters. 

www.petermac.org/iprevent
www.breastcancertrials.org.au/iprevent

Check it out and see what you think.

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I filled it out was if it was the year before I was diagnosed. My risk for the next 10 years was 3.3%
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I was going to hit "LOL" @Brenda5 and then thought it might not be appropriate!
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    I filled it out as though it was the day before my diagnosis, my risk was 2.5%
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Ooh, I'm going to do it now. Curious to see what mine 'was'!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,574
    Options
    Mine was 3.4% likelihood of BC before I was diagnosed .... my 2 wines in the evening and that I was on hrt cream for 12 morning months may have increased mine ..... or was it having no children?   Hmmmm I may do it again ‘with’ children and see if it is different!

Odd ..... having 1 child increased my risk to 3.7%!  Then they go on to say that 8% of women will develop BC ..... I Would have thought it more than that, if 8 out of 10 women currently getting it have no family history of it!!
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Mine was 2.9% likelihood of getting BC, no family history, i have 2 children, wasn't on hrt, physically fit, enjoyed wine with dinner probably a little too much for my own good! But i wouldn't put that down to getting BC because i really don't know where that curve ball came from.
  • Uffy
    Uffy Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I answered the questions for my age (48) as I was before my first diagnosis in 2008. Fit, 1 child, answered honestly about the wine at that time 24 units per week, maternal granmother diagnosed at 72. Estimate only 1.9%. It didn't ask about bowel cancer which my mum died of at 55. It also didn't ask about depression which I think has been a major factor in both of my diagnosis. Being unhappy for years and self medicating on wine had to have been a major contributor in my books.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,574
    Options
    Good on you @Uffy .... I may have been a tad ‘lenient” on my vinos ..... saying just 12 ... probably closer to 20!! LOL

I wouldn’t  blame the wine too much ... there are plenty of old winos still around (or maybe they only ‘look’ older??   I reckon my blood mother was an alcoholic in her older days .... and  she never got any cancers .... only arthritis related surgery (hip replacement that was stuffed up and eventually lead to her demise in her 70s ....) 

The data it is rełying on is way too scant for an accurate or reliable assessment of the possibility of getting BC ... specially ignoring if it is in the family already

Personally .... I would be ignoring it and not recommending it to others!!

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Wow.  Filled it out as if before I was diagnosed.  1.9% chance. LOL 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    It's tempting to keep lying to it until a) it tells me I won't get it  b) gives me a 100% chance of having it once and a 200% chance of having it twice. Yeah, I know. I'm taking it out of context. Interesting though to read a corresponding article where these sorts of tests may inform the prescription of tamoxifen as a preventative. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I was 6.6%.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Considering the probability in Oz of getting BC is @ 12.5 % (1 in 8) you've got to wonder how their methodology works. I'm not going to read it. If the promotion of the study is any good I shouldn't have to plough through 50 pages to find out if is not applicable to....whomever. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I got 9.7% but I suspect that's due to a lot of "I don't know" for my parents' family members.