Waiting biopsy results following highly suspicious lump and enlarged lymph nodes

Prime time
Prime time Member Posts: 19
edited May 2018 in General discussion
Hi all, I’m new here but wanted to put down my thoughts to others who have / are going through the same 

Following ultrasound last week where my lump was confirmed as a 3cm lump with irregular borders with an enlarged lymph node and described as a “highly suspicious” lump, tuesday I had mammogram, lymph node fine needle biopsy and 3 x core needle biopsy in breast lump.

Apart from feeling sore I am obviously worried/nervous/frightened.

Doctor who performed mammogram and biopsy said the findings are very worrying...should I just accept the fact it is Cancerous? Is there a possibility with these findings it is a benign lump? 

Both doctors from ultrasound and today’s tests said the same statement so I fear the worst and feel it’s highly unlikely to be benign but I am trying to keep positive

Every little ache now I am overly worrying about convinced it’s linked to the lump

Is this normal feeling? 

Tagged:

Comments

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @Prime time The doctors should not have said that to you. It is very unethical. You need to wait for the pathology. 
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Yes! This is a very normal feeling. Stay in touch.Xxxxx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    @Prime time
    Try not to 2nd guess the results - even tho it is a very scary period - as it will take a little time for the results to come thru.  We've all been thru it - so feel for you big time!  :( 

If you are in a private health fund - (and if you are not up to it - I wasn't & have paid the price!) - get someone to check out what hospitals your PHF group have 'on their books' if you want to go 'private'.   I went private (to get a quicker access to surgery, tho I believe the wait shouldn't be too long, even in the public system.)  Because I hadn't checked with the PHF - I am about $6000 out of pocket expenses  - from the surgeon fee, a fee to have the job done at a 'non approved private facility' & other fees (check the podcast of 4 Corners this week just gone on Out of Pocket costs!)  I was given a quote re my surgery - but was still surprised at the gap!

Most who go Public - have very few expenses, even for the surgery/anaesthetists etc.  I then went public for radiation (at now cost) and currently going thru public oncology (at no cost other than medication costs.)  Mind you - there may be other 'occasional costs' with gaps including MRIs, CT Scans, Ultrasound/Biopsy fees ..... 

We have quite a few members from Perth who will hopefully reply to your post asap ..... all the best - in the mean time, try & keep busy - do what you love doing xx
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hey @Prime time,

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of wonderful people and great experience and information here.  Waiting is the absolute pitts.  You're probably aching from all the poking and prodding you poor thing.  Core biopsies are horrid.
    They really shouldn't have said anything to you until the results were in.
    It's funny how as soon as you are suspicious that it might be not so great news everything else starts aching and playing up and you think that it is IT doing it when two days before you were feeling fine.

I originally found a lump in my lymph nodes and the sonogropher at the ultra sound said "Oh well, we better biopsy this.  It looks really angry" gulp.

Fingers crossed for you the results come back as false alarm. but if not...stay in touch we all know how you feel.  

xoxoxo
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Prime time waiting is the scariest bit and u have to try not to let your imagination drive u crazy. No one should ever tell u what they “think” your results are until they have pathology - as many of the ladies know here after I had my mastectomy the surgeon told me my lymph nodes were swollen and therefore it had spread, I had stage 4 cancer and was in the fight of my life. All that turned out not to be true but we had a hell couple of days.  When are u supposed to get your results?  Next week? Try to spend some quality time with friends and family and doing things u enjoy. I know from my experience from now on in every twinge I will think is a cancer  :/. We are all here for u though. Big hugs xoxoox
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi Prime time 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.