waiting is making me feel sick

AmyB
AmyB Member Posts: 5
Hi all, I am new to this forum. I found a lump 2 weekends ago, went the Dr on the Tuesday, Wednesday had mamogram, ultrasound and fine needle aspiration. Mamogram confirmed there was something there and Dr scared the living daylights out of me asking me if I had income protection as I would need alot of time off work. Monday I got the results of the biopsy, Dr couldn't really tell me anything other than it was being referred to the breast clinic at the hospital and now I need to wait to hear back. From what I can gather that's written on the paperwork the lump I found is cancerours and something about the node as well. I am near wetting myself and feeling so ill, can't eat properly can't sleep properly. I'm 38 with 2 children, husband, work full time and just having my career take off. I am absolutely sick with worry.

I have amazing family and friends around me supporting us, but I just can't help but worry. I have returned to work to try and keep my mind busy until I get the hospital appointment. I have put Dr google away as that just made it worse trying to understand individual words in the report.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to calm the nerves/stomach please?

Comments

• Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    AmyB sending you a private message
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

Of course you are worried! Michelle has given you good advice--the breast care nurse is the person you need to contact now; don't wait for someone to set it up, it's something proactive you can do now.

@soldiercrab is our lady with all the handy links, I'm sure she will put them up for you.

Regarding taking time off work, it's impossible to tell if you will need to or not. Some people work through treatment but that depends what is recommended and how you cope with it as an individual. It is worth checking to see what insurance you do have, that can make life a lot easier if you need to go through the full performance. These things are never convenient--I was 43 when I was first diagnosed and like you I was just getting my career together. That ended up being OK and I kept things on track but the whole business was a nuisance!

• Harvey1903
    Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
    Hi AmyB - I have had a similar story to yours.  I am still waiting for results from second op as the margins were not clear enough.  It's hard not to worry.  But I found reading through everyone elses story was mind settling for me.  You are not here alone.  Allow yourself 'me time' to process whats happening.  I had lots of silly thoughts - like when people say 'how are you' I say 'I'm fine' and under my breath but just been diagnosed with breast cancer.  I look at things a little different now.  One day at a time...  hugs...
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

• AmyB
    thank you so very much to everyone. I really appreciate it. I have gone out and bought things to help boost my immune system, as even stress alone can impact it and I want to have the best possible chance of being at my best to get through this for me and my family. I now have immune boost tablets, vitamin C, collodial silver and also picked up some aromatherapy and ginger candy to help the stomach. 

I also called the hospital to follow up on my appointment and it's currently pending with the Dr to finish reviewing the referral and results/notes to then contact me to work out what needs to happen. I will now also follow up about a breast care nurse. 

I just went and had lunch with my amazing work friends who helped me feel at ease and comforted and I even managed to eat my lunch without feeling sick.

I came back to the office and another lovely friend had left me a beautiful card and aromatherapy candle. I am feeling very loved and supported right now.

I will keep touching base and reading other's experiences as I do find reading what other people have gone through a great comfort in knowing we are very strong bunch of women who go through hell but come out the other side stronger than ever. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    That's all good to hear Amy! I can tell you that in the last six months I have felt more loved than at any other time in my life. It's a beautiful feeling. Kate xox
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Thinking of you @AmyB . I like you felt so sick when first diagnosed and I too followed the above advise and found ginger beer calmed my tummy down. Its only natural to worry ( I think I was born a worrier!) and whilst you probably don't want to go and do anything energetic like a step or combat  class :D:D , walking and deep breaths is good exercise and calming  too. All the best and I hope you get good news ! x
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It's all been said, Amy but welcome. Waiting is the hardest but you're doing the right thing by staying off Dr Google.  We've all been where you are and know what you're going through. With regards to work, who knows at this stage what you'll be able to manage but check out income protection anyway. And...one step at a time.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @AmyB - waiting is the absolute worst!!  Thinking of u and sending big hugs. 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    No much to add Amy,  but welcome.  As you can see, this an awesome place to voice your concerns and fears,
      Everyone here has been there and remembers just how scary it was at the beginning.  Waiting just sux.

I found distraction worked best at the start and tried to keep everything as normal as was humanly possible.  Easier said than done mostly.  Wine helped as well  :)

Personally I think it was a bit rude of the Dr to land you with the income protection thing right now when you don't have all or hardly any information.  

I managed to work the majority of the time through treatment and there are many on here that got through treatment ok. Great idea to contact the breast care nurse.  

Fingers crossed for you.  

All the best.
    xoxoxo
  • AmyB
    thanks @kezmusc yes I have found wine of great comfort :) My plan is definately to just keep working and going about life as normal as I can and work this in around it. Until I know more from the hospital, I don't know what is coming up next, so trying not to worry/stress too much about stuff I don't know about yet. 
  • duxx1234
    duxx1234 Member Posts: 128

kmakm said:

Hi Amy, and welcome to this forum. I hope you find it as helpful and supportive as I have.

You poor love! The beginning is just the absolute pits. Waiting is awful and the fear of the unknown is a shocker. Please be reassured that you are not alone in either your emotions or circumstances. Also know that there are a lot of services and help available to you.

There are a number of things that can take the edge off this time. We're all different so they vary from person to person. The thing that worked best for me was good old fashioned distraction. I gave my brain a rest by watching a lot of easy tv. I also saw a counsellor very early on who let me bawl my eyes out, at length, in her office a couple of times. As well as being a great valve release, this was valuable for me because with four kids and an elderly father-in-law at home, I couldn't really do it there.

That counsellor put me onto a breathing exercise that can help slow and reset your nervous system that is in overdrive at this time. So breathe in for four seconds, hold it for three, and exhale for six. Do that several times and you may feel a little calmer.

Meditation can help too if you want to give it a go. I used it a lot early on. I can't quite tell you how it worked but it seemed to create a breathing space in my highly overactive brain. I use the Headspace app on my phone. It has 'packs' of different lengths for cancer, anxiety, panic etc.

You can access a Breastcare nurse who can be amazing to talk to and advise you at any stage of a breast cancer or possible breast cancer diagnosis. Call the breast clinic at the hospital and ask for one. If they can't help you they should be able to point you in the right direction.

You can always ring the BCNA hotline on 1800 500 258. There's nothing the fab folk there haven't heard and they'll be able to assist, guide and comfort you.

What's worked for you in times of stress before? Exercise, a long walk or a swim? Hanging out with friends? Some people like to research the shit out of a subject, others prefer not to know too much. The important thing is to do what's right for you, be kind to yourself, be gentle with yourself. Accept all offers of help!

There is a young women group here you might like to join as well. There might be some specific advice there you could find useful.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/10-young-women

Most of us feel highly inconvenienced by a diagnosis of cancer. I mean, who has time for this crap?! But if you are getting on this train you just have to surrender to the notion that getting well is going to take time. It sucks! But this too shall pass. We're lucky to have world leading cancer treatment available to us here.

Everyone here is in your corner and rooting for you. We'll hold your hand as you step through the maze. So hang in there, take deep breaths, and ask as many questions, rant and vent as you need. Try to take things one day at a time, even one hour at a time. Remain present, put one foot in front of the other and try not cross any bridges until you come to them. Big hug, Kate xox

• duxx1234
    duxx1234 Member Posts: 128
    Can somebody tell me please what button I am pressing incorrectly that copied this article!  I meant to hit the ‘like’ button not copy it.
    Sorry Kate @kmakm I love everything you post; you write with such compassion and empathy .  I think I said in one of my earlier posts that I am a computer ‘gumby’ Hence why I don’t do a lot of posting!!
    it makes me nervous!!