Dissapointed

Options
PeterB
PeterB Member Posts: 65
Just heard from a Male breast cancer guy from interstate. Only just finished surgery and chemo in the last few months. Only MBC guy in his area. Wanted to go to the local Breast Cancer Support Group. The “ladies” rejected his request.
So much for support from the ladies.
PeterB
Men’s Breast Cancer Forum

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Shame on them. I can understand there might be some hesitancy about discussing more intimate issues if that's what they do in their group, but why not give it a chance? Imagine the broadening of your understanding of the human condition, the deepening of your empathy and understanding. What a great pity. You have to walk the talk of equality if it's ever going to be truly achieved.
  • Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    Options
    What a shame to hear that. It's the disease, not the person.
  • Sam09
    Sam09 Member Posts: 149
    Options
    That is discrimination how sad ....poor guy he should take that to the media they would have a field day ..I'm sure the group would have welcomed him with open arms .
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    That just makes me sad, for the man, but also fos the ladies and their attitudes
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    That's appalling - what are they thinking?  Is he a member on this site @PeterB?
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    That’s really sad!!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I can see how it could happen. I hope they come to their senses, but it isn't  likely and having been rejected once he probably wouldn't want to go now anyway.
    Depending on where he lives, there may be options to get involved with consumer reference groups attached to the hospital or the regional cancer service delivery groups. They are much better value, in my opinion, you get people from different backgrounds and they do something useful . 
  • PeterB
    PeterB Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Ladies, thank you for your comments. Don’t know if this guy is on BCNA. I myself, gave a talk to the Stafford Breast Cancer Support Group run by Breast Screen Qld. It was very productive and was warmly welcomed by the ladies. Said I was the only male, other than a brother that had come to their meeting. They were surprised how males go thru the exact same thing with BC, other than psychological differences.
    New guy is going to push our cause in his state now.
    PeterB
    Mens Breast Cancer Forum.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

If he hasn't already found us, you may be able to suggest he joins @peterb

• Lulu28
    Lulu28 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    That is not nice to hear. Everyone needs support. 
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    @PeterB that is fucking disgraceful. shame on them. ask him to get on here with us and we will support him even if its only virtually, Im so sorry to hear that. Is he is brisbane at all ?? Margie xx 
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Bring him here, we'll look after him!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    I’m so sorry to hear this. I can’t imagine seeking support after surgery and chemo and encountering a bunch of ‘mean girls’.