When laughter is the best medicine

Eastmum
Eastmum Member Posts: 495
Today I reconnected with an old friend after she posted on Facebook about her breast cancer survival. 

While we were chatting she said:
 ‘I’d be happy to give you a couple of pointers’

To which I replied:
’That would be awesome ‘cos they cut mine off!’ 

She eventually laughed hahaha

So what are the ways that some of you have used humour to lock heads with Breast Cancer and tell it where it can shove its ugly head? 

Xxxxx

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Eastmum - that’s funny. I’m enjoying the chemo induced brazilian that I no longer have to maintain and I always try and have a laugh - if I didn’t I’d probably cry all the time!!  Glad u r home xo
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited May 2018
    @Eastmum
    haha - that's a CLASSIC!!  Love it!!

My friend was recently diagnosed with Metastatic BC & was seeing the Onc for the first time last week & all 3 of her kids came down to support her & her hubby ..... I got to meet one of them & as we were introduced to the son & daughter in law, I gave my buddy a hug & said "I'm her new Breastie'' - and was really relieved that she had a good laugh ....... 

Humour (& being kept BUSY) is so vital, I think, as a way of processing all the shit we are going thru ...... some more than others ..... keep 'em coming!!

@Kiwi Angel
    Lucky you (sort of) - I've never bothered with a brazillian (a bit before my time!  LOL) and I only have one rather patchy looking few hairs under my right armpit to show for my radiation ..... so I don't have to worry about shaving that one as often now ..... 

Take care ladies & gents ...... xx
  • Eastmum
    edited May 2018
    @arpie  - you’re so right - humour is often appropriate and cathartic. 

When I decided to let a bunch of friends know I was about to have a DMX, I really wanted to set the ‘tone’ - no doom and gloom! So I started my message by saying that I had two things I needed to get off my chest......

i did apologise in case anyone was offended and was particularly worried that my friends who had lost loved ones to cancer would be offended - they were the ones who laughed the loudest! :)

@Kiwi Angel - it will be my first Brazilian! My daughters will be scandalized! 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Love it! I write the odd limerick (there's a couple in my phone in the file I call Bad Cancer Poetry) and imho that is excellent!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    See - you can do it without even trying @Zoffiel
  • Eastmum
    @kmakm any of that bad cancer poetry appropriate to share? 
  • Kiwi Angel
    @AllyJay that’s so funny. @Eastmum @kmakm is so not trendy now though - I got told by a girl I work with in her 20’s that the bush is back. I’m so never on trend  :D

@JJ70 great limerick!!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Interesting - so the fanny is co-ordinated with the eyebrows (I've seen some caterpillars, lately - and they're not all natural)? 
  • Kiwi Angel
    I think they are all just going au natural these days - possibly like the 80’s bit with a little more grooming.