Would a live chat option work?

Options
Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

I'm wondering if a live chat side bar might be a useful thing. I know it raises some issues for the moderators, but watching the development of some of the threads, I wonder if that might be a way to meet the needs of those who just want to have a natter that doesn't really contribute to targeted conversations.

I know that some threads are operating as default chats but, and this is a bit of a codger thing, it can be a bit disconcerting to log on and find 80+ notifications. TBH, I've lost interest in tracking back through them when a good many don't relate to the original conversation. This is not a criticism, its just an observation. I also wonder if late night lurkers, who are also often new members, may feel more comfortable being able to participate in a non-themed chat session. It would also mean if we, and I also mean I, want to connect, it doesn't mean jumping form thread to thread.

Just throwing it out there for consideration. Marg

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    I'd support that suggestion. Some threads that I look at and soon see the post has gone awry and I don't read it.  Some are in excess of 600 comments others 50, 70 and I haven't even hit on them.
    Everyone means well and I am guilty of doing the same, going off topic, however I do feel I am probably not contributing like I was and feel I should.
    Probably not an easy fix
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Great idea @Zoffiel as the midnight to dawn shift in particular is very popular - I’d thought of suggesting a group for it. Am not sure what a chat room is exactly but might be the ticket too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    I agree with a chat option, it does get hard to follow threads where people go off on a side topic.  Though knowing when to take something to chat and when to post on a thread might be a bit tricky at first. 
  • MoiraC
    MoiraC Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Sounds like a good option
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea as I am certainly guilty of meandering.  
  • Zoffiel
    Options
    I'm a topic wanderer from way back @sister :) I would like to be able to drop into a conversation without checking what the tone and topic was 9 pages ago to try (not always successfully) not to put my foot in it by ...well the options are endless but usually centre around my not always appropriate sense of humour.

Live chat works well on a couple of other sites I occasionally use--the topic is the topic at the time so anyone looking for specific information doesn't get bamboozled by random discussions. It would be best, i think, if the chat was only available for members. There may well be technical or policy issues that would get in the way. Mxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You're right @zoffiel.  Sometimes I click on a post and have no idea what it started as without going back (and I'm a very impatient person) but I'm definitely an offender when it comes to going off topic although it often seems relevant when I'm typing it.  But I have to say that your humour, appropriate or not, in my experience is very welcome - it often helps to take a shot at something while you're screaming, and can make a big difference as to whether you sink or come up for air.
    So, it's knowing when to draw the line, I think and take a convo off to another space.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Years ago, pre Facebook I was in a fish forum for aquarium fish. As an added extra to this forum the server offered it a free live chatroom. I was a moderator for it and it was marvelous. It even had the feature you could link in photos. I gained good friends who I still correspond in private messages daily on Facebook. Sadly the forum is not operating any more, nor the chat room.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,576
    Options
    I've never really used a chat room tho my kayak fishing site also has the option - but think it would be a terrific option to have.  

I think we've all 'wandered' from the topic now & then ..... 

Yep, the late night owls & lurking newbies would definitely benefit from it, I reckon!  ;)  
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I must admit I am far better at typing a conversation than I am at having one as with chemo brain, I tend to blurt out absolute rot sometimes in a live conversation and often totally wrong words come out to what is in my head. Perhaps a live chat could be an option rather than tying up live bnca phone lines?
  • Zoffiel
    Options

Oddly, @Brenda5 that is one of the things on my 'risk' list for a chat line--that there may be the tendency to confuse conversation and community connection with the sort of targeted advice offered through the phone lines. Like all ideas there can be reasons why it hasn't already been done that are not obvious at first thought.

I guess if the mods are plowing through all the posts anyway--which must be a sizable job when there is a group of us churning around in the early hours-- it may not be an issue as there would still be a safety net to pick up on anyone who needs individual attention.

• Janny54
    Janny54 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    I could of done with a chat line yesterday when I had a mini melt down for no real reason. Someone who really understood would of been helpful.
    Sounds like a great idea to me.
    Xx