Still not sure of diagnosis.

Geenahfb
Geenahfb Member Posts: 3
Hi just checking in as a complete newbie.

I am 46 and newly diagnosed last Thursday 10/5......yay me....last time I think a lump is nothing.  Its funny how when you find one how much you convince yourself it’s nothing or just a cyst or fatty tissue.

Ok, so I had FNA which came back non diagnostic with some blood and ductal epithelial cells, which no one knew what it meant so my doctor (lovely man) sends me to a Breast Surgeon in Adelaide.

Down we come, at this stage I am still convinced of my own diagnosis, and in for 3D mammogram and a core biopsy (3 jabs and then a 4th just to sure).  Back to the waiting room to sit patiently and wait.

In to see the doc again and all of a sudden time freezes straight after he starts throwing the ‘C’ word around, WOW so not expecting that, so still not too sure what he said just that we needed to wait for the pathology reports due tomorrow and to go have a bone scan and chest X-ray. Ok.

Since then he rung to say definitely cancer, schedule a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy for 23/5. My body scan was clear so contained in breast.

Comments

• steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Hi @Geenahfb Sorry to hear of your diagnosis to date but glad you have found this site. Still very early days for you and perhaps feeling pretty spun out. I had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy almost a year ago followed by radiation. Once your full pathology comes back you will then have a plan and way forward. Scarey stuff and waiting is hard.  It is as you say "time freezes" and the mind goes numb.  I found it helpful to have support with me in the early discussions and also wrote things down because words and phrases will get thrown around and you will begin to learn a whole new language and get a personal road map for planet BC.  I hope you have been told about and ordered your free Breast Kit from BCNA. It is a wealth of info.  You will find a lot of support here with so many varied outcomes and there will be places you will cross roads with others.  
    In the meantime, take a deep breath, and if looking for general information there is lots here and other reputable sites.  All the best for the 23rd. hugs.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Sorry you're here. I will tag a couple of others that hopefully can help 
    @primek this lady is from your home town
    @soldiercrab has a great intro list that will help 

Take care
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hi there and welcome. I too am from Broken Hill and a 2 year survivor now. 
    After surgery you will have your definitive diagnosis and then a treatment plan will start.
    Are you in Adelaide presently still? What hospital are you being treated through? I have a friend also works at PD as civilian (Diana) she knows my journey. I am more than happy to support you locally and work just down  the corridor from the chemo unit and round the corner from the Cancer Coordinator snd can gelp with the confusion of being linked in with services. I hope you have iptaas forms with you for Dr to sign. If nit you can download so xan complete otherwise when back the csncer care coordinator csn help you with initial forms and get the Dr to sign later. Treatment travel runs expensive so you need to save where you can. 

I have 3 boys ...22, 19 and 18. So possibly they might even know mine. 

Kath
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    HI sorry you have need to join us. 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Welcome @Geenahfb Not much to add to what others have said - you'll find out more after your surgery and then you will be able feel a little bit more in control of the future.  
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Geenahfb sorry I have to join us here but it’s a great support. Try not to Dr google too much, you will know more after surgery and will be able to have your plan of attack. Thinking of u - big hugs xoxox
  • Geenahfb
    Thanks for the welcome and the information ladies.  It is nice to know that there is this kind of support there. 

I have seen the Breast Care Nurse and she has given me the IPTASS form so that is all set.

My Journey kit arrived yesterday so I am having a good read through that.

@primek I work with Diana in the same office, have for the last 20 years.  We will have to meet and see how close we are connected.....not hard in Broken Hill. 

I guess now now it is just take one step at a time.

Get through surgery and then deal with the next step.

Again, thanks for everything.

• Geenahfb
    Yay finally have a full diagnosis.

Surgery was had on 23/5 and went well, doctor took an extra large surgical margin and 3 sentinel nodes and was very happy with it all.

Doctor asked us to stay in Adelaide until the following Wednesday to get the results, and boy am I glad that I did.  My boob was so sore, and still is, and the roads between The Hill and Adelaide are shite and it would have been an agonising drive.

So, the final result is Invasive Carcinoma of No Special Type (aka Invasive Ductal Carcinoma) Grade 2 Stage 2 ER+ PR+ HER2-.......this is good according to the doctor.

The surgical margin and nodes were clear.....yay.

So now it is radiotherapy and hormone therapy....to be started when I have healed enough....it does mean 5 weeks in Adelaide but worth it.

It is such a relief to be able to say what I have, or had, and have a forward plan.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Well as BC goes that's pretty good news. Hooray! Brilliant that there's no node involvement. Wishing you gentle healing. K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Good new @Geenahfb
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Geenahfb great news - pretty much what I had but I decided to have some chemo as my ki number was in the grey area, no radiotherapy as there were clear margins but hormone therapy to come. Xo
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    @ Geenahfb that's great news , much the same as my results ! 
    Its such a relief to have it gone ! 
    Waiting to start the radiation which I'm not looking forward too .
    its so much better with a plan , focus on your recovery & you'll be fine .
    Best of luck 
    Hugs xxx