Forum Discussion
kmakm
8 years agoMember
Wobbly nearing the end of active treatment
19 days ago I had my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction, last Friday I saw the oncologist, yesterday I saw the plastic surgeon and today I saw my breast surgeon.
At the end of the appointment he said see you in six months. Right from the start I always knew that this time was going to be a challenge for me. That when the steady forward motion of appointments slowed to a trickle I would find it challenging. As I left his office I felt OK. I had lunch with a friend but when I got home I had a little cry.
I've put in place some plans and strategies to help me through the rest of the year, which I'm determined to devote to recovery. Plus I've got a list of other activities to play around with to try to reclaim my life, and reduce the stress which has dominated it in recent times. I recognise that I have to find a new normal. But right now I feel a bit bereft and a little frightened. Life will go back to normal, but do I want it to? I can't have been through all this for nothing can I? Can I make something better rise from the horror of the last six months? How long will I feel this way?
At the end of the appointment he said see you in six months. Right from the start I always knew that this time was going to be a challenge for me. That when the steady forward motion of appointments slowed to a trickle I would find it challenging. As I left his office I felt OK. I had lunch with a friend but when I got home I had a little cry.
I've put in place some plans and strategies to help me through the rest of the year, which I'm determined to devote to recovery. Plus I've got a list of other activities to play around with to try to reclaim my life, and reduce the stress which has dominated it in recent times. I recognise that I have to find a new normal. But right now I feel a bit bereft and a little frightened. Life will go back to normal, but do I want it to? I can't have been through all this for nothing can I? Can I make something better rise from the horror of the last six months? How long will I feel this way?
55 Replies
- arpieMemberAt the very least - you should be able to access your super - so that you DO have a steady income stream for the period that you AREN'T able to work. That would at least relieve that initial pressure of 'HOW DO I PAY THE MORTGAGE?RENT & FEED THE KIDS!'
I am SO in awe of you ladies who are going thru all this and are still working & supporting your family and doing all the chores & cooking as well.
I was SO lucky to be able to 'retire' at 50 (when my husband retired at 65) - living in a smallish rural town, there weren't that many jobs around 18 years ago - so we bought lawn mowing run for a few years.Before retiring, I was super fit & healthy - rock climbing, fishing, swimming & doing whatever I liked! After retiring - I had 2 shoulder surgeries (which each took 2-4 years for full range of movement recovery), 2 knee surgeries, a buggered hip that affected me for 8 months, the other half had most of his stomach removed from stomach cancer so needed 24/7 care and to top it off - I got BC. I would have HATED to be working as well!
As I said - I am in AWE of EVERYONE who continues to work thru all this shit. I am 65 now & still won't be able to access my super til I am 67 .... but with the aid of hubby's pension & income streams we are comfortable. We don't do 'luxuries' ..... but are happy with our lot. - PatsyNMember@Brenda5 I so totally agree with you about the instant pension for people with breast cancer.
Some might not want it - I'm pretty sure it's a system that wouldn't be abused, lol.
I don't know how working people cope. 12 months down the track I can still barely get myself out the door.
Just getting a healthcare card out of them took 3 personal visits to their offices in the middle of my AC chemo.
It was 'not possible' to do it online according to the short sleeved public servants who dealt with me each time.
I'd hate to be asking them for actual money! I wonder how many visits that takes. - SisterMemberAbsolutely right @Brenda5
- Brenda5MemberI was born in 1962 so I will probably have to make it to 68 to get a pension. I will be happy just to make it to 60 lol. I reckon breast cancer diagnosis should give us an instant pension as I have aged at least 10 years with treatment. Things like heart troubles that shouldn't be happening until I am in my late 60's early 70's are happening to me now.
- primekMember@kmcin28 I will copy and paste thus to your own post.
- kmcin28MemberHi, I am new to this site and not sure if this is the correct place to post. I was diagnosed with her2+ just over 12 months ago and finished my chemo just before Christmas, at the moment I am being treated 3 weekly with Herceptin and Leterazole (taken orally daily). I was quite sick with the first four rounds of chemo before I started on taxol, I tolerated this ok but in the last few days I have noticed I'm unreasonably emotional and have pain in my right arm and hand, I have had some amount of pain in other areas but not as severe as this. At this stage my last Herceptin will be in October. Has anyone else experienced this?
- AnonymousNot applicableThe user and all related content has been deleted.
- PatsyNMember@Joannie - I don't know where I got 67 from. Perhaps we were given something back in a budget since my estimation, which admittedly must be at least 10 years old. So I've only got just over 2 years. I think I feel really pleased. I will definitely be feeling thrilled when it finally sinks in to my still chemo addled brain. Thank you for that.
- kmakmMember@Zoffiel I still hate her!
- AnonymousNot applicableThe user and all related content has been deleted.