School teacher help

Options
MaryB83
MaryB83 Member Posts: 45
edited May 2018 in General discussion
This may seem like a strange question but I work in a small school as a prep-2 classroom teacher. The fact that I'm not going to be there for quite a while (chemo, double mastectomy and rad) is going to be very noticed (esp since my 2 boys go hhere). I wondering how and what I let the school community know? I know it is enevitably up to me but wondering what others have done?
Tagged:

Comments

• gurneys
    gurneys Member Posts: 224
    Options
    I was quite open within my school community but then I teach secondary girls so that may be different. I thought it was important for teenage girls to know about issues such as this. I also received an enormous amount of support from the school and staff. Couldn't have done it without them.
    Having said that, my daughter was in prep at the time but even there, the wider school community knew, too. They were also supportive and then my daughter felt free to talk about what her mum was going through, too.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I work at my older kids' school and have been very open, including sharing my blog details with other staff. The school has been amazingly supportive of both me and the kids.  My youngest is at primary school and I contacted both her teachers last year and this year (I was diagnosed just before the end of the school year).  I also made sure that my kids felt okay about sharing the info with friends and as a result have had contact with other parents re: diagnosis.  One of the things I talked about with my kids was that their friends or others may say things that were insensitive without realising and if something upset them they should immediately talk to a teacher and to me.
  • MaryB83
    MaryB83 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Fellow staff are fantastic and super supportive- I'm more concerned about letting everyone in the school know. We're a really close knit school and I don't want to hide what's happening, I just don't know what's appropriate. I don't want to explain what's going on at every school drop off pick up..
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @primek - from memory had a blog or similar

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I personally had a private fb blog that  I invited work colleagues and friends into. I know if someone who had 2. A more general update one. Then a more personal one that included photos etc. I did want people to know how hard it all was but you soldier  on regardless. I found by people knowing...nobody whinged about picking up workloads etc. And were supportive when I was unable to come back initially at full capacity.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I set up (actually, hubby did) a blog on WordPress.  It really is the easiest way to keep everyone informed without going into details all the time.
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hi @MaryB83 I am the communications manager at my children's school and I have often been asked to draft a letter to explain a staff member's absence/extended leave etc.
    You have many options and some of these will be informed by any precedent of what's been done at your school before, or maybe whether or not your school wants to set a precedent, if they haven't send out this kind of communication before. I suggest talking to your Head of School or Principal and finding out what they're comfortable with. If you regularly communicate with parents via email and you're happy to send something out about your situation, you could write it in your own voice, explain what you're going through in whatever 'tone' you're happy to use and let them know that you are happy for them to 'spread the word' in the school community so that you don't have to explain what's going on at every school drop-off.
    This is an opportunity for you to control the dialogue. Kids will tell parents that you're not around and parents will wonder why - nip it all in the bud before people start talking about it and getting the information wrong. I've always found that being open, honest and transparent in school communication removes conjecture and rumour and that it's always better to be proactive rather than reactive with communication.
    I'm so happy to look over a draft or help you write something if you need a hand - you're welcome to send me a private message any time. 
    Wishing you all the best,
    Yvette xxx