Scared!

Options
MaryB83
MaryB83 Member Posts: 45
I've just been to get all my testing done (mammogram, ultrasound, fine needle biopsy of lymph node, core biopsies of 2 lumps and a clip mammogram) and the doctor at the clinich told me I have breast cancer. Both lumps and calcification between the lumps on chest wall and a suspicious lymph node. He told me to book into see a breast surgeon as soon as possible but what I'm finding frustrating is that I don't have the biopsy results so I don't know what kind I have. I'm finding it hard to believe I have anything but I know a doctor would never say I have it if I don't. I'm just scared I guess as I'm only 35 with 3 yoing kids- I get the results either this afternoon or tomorrow.

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @MaryB83 oh goodness, you have found us!

If you look up the top of the page there is a tag called Groups, within is the Young Womens Group - click on and join as others similar to you will be there

As to resources, this site is valuable

Once you have your results and referral you will then have an idea of what is next and if there will be a Breast Care nurse available through the surgeon and or hospital that you will be attending, if not, through this site we will guide you through finding one.  If you do have one she may give you guidance and the My Journey Kit, if not here is the link to order 
    https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/my-journey-kit/

This link https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/types-of-breast-cancer/
    will help you once you know what type of cancer you have which hopefully will come with biopsy results today and or further tests

Hope that helps to give you something and best wishes for your results

Take care

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So sorry to hear you are joining the BC club .... we’ve all been there.  The initial shock and fear of the diagnosis is a real whack in the face, then having to decide what to do next .... it is all very confronting.  There is a wealth of support and information that you can access here ....

The Cancer Council and our very own BCNA have the most fantastic resources to help you along the way, including counselling if you need it.  BCNA have a Pack of goodies they will send out to you, including a terrific diary for recording EVERYTHING (your thoughts, appointments, expenses etc)  as you progress the your treatment.  They are also in partnership with Berlei and will provide a post op soft bra that does up from the front, for ease of use - and it is brilliant. 

That’s a bit weird the clinic Dr told you ... I would have expected them to send all the reports and scans to your GP to advise you in s gentler way.  :( 

A few tips from my diagnosis in early Jan ..... if you have private health cover and you are up to it ... make contact with them and see what Breast surgeons are ‘on their books’.  This may reduce long term costs to you re surgery if you elect to go private for surgery.

I went private for the surgery and had my operation within 2 weeks of diagnosis.  I was given a quote and explained that I would be out of pocket at least $3,000.  I was prepared to do that, so that I could have it done straight away instead of a possible wait in the public system, especially for the surgeon I wanted for the job. 

Many here have gone ‘public hospital’ for both surgery and follow up treatments (radiation, chemo etc) at virtually no cost.

Request a Sentinel Node Biopsy 24hrs prior to surgery - it will determine which other lymph nodes the tumours ‘drain to’ as well as the one already found. This way they only remove the necessary ones, reducing your chances of Lymphodema after surgery.

Where do you live?  Others on the forum may have recommendations on who to see and where to go for follow up treatment.  I had my radiation at Port Macquarie, staying at the Rotary Lodge for 4 weeks.  If you live in the country, you can be subsidised for fuel and accomodation costs ..... via IPTASS 
    http://www.enable.health.nsw.gov.au/services/iptaas

All the best .... I hope you have good friends and family that you can lean on ... in the mean time, try to keep doing your normal things, keep busy .... and take care
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    You need to see your GP to get the referral. He or she should be able to refer you to someone they think you'll be comfortable working with. You have a choice to go public or private.

It's such a bewildering maze when we're first diagnosed, a vertical learning curve that you have to negotiate with unprecedented levels of fear. I promise you it gets better. You are in the worst bit right now. Waiting is the absolute pits.

All things being equal you should be introduced to your BreastCare nurse soon, and she'll be a great resource for you. Until then, you can always ring the helpline here 1800 500 258. I cannot recommend talking to the BCNA helpline enough. They hold your hand through the phone!

I'm sorry that you're here Mary, but now that you are, I hope you find this site as supportive, informative and as helpful as I have. I was diagnosed last December, have four kids and a dreadful family history. I didn't feel sick, it was a routine mammogram that found my cancer. Take deep breaths, try to stay in the moment (easier said than done I know but there's no point crossing bridges you may never come to!) and always know you can come here to vent, rant and ask any and all the questions. Hang in there. K xox

• MaryB83
    Options
    Thank you. Not knowing is making me feel so strange-  in limbo- and I just want to wake up from this. I just need a game plan so I can get my head around it all
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I'm surprised that you haven't been given an indication of what type of BC you have but maybe it's not clear or that the clinic didn't organise your GP appointment. However, that's what you need to do now - get to the GP for a referral to a surgeon. Ask who he/ she would go to or who they'd refer their mother/ sister to.  Whereabouts are you? You are likely to find recommendations from people on this site if that interests you.  And whether you have private health cover will impact on your choice.

• RachelG
    RachelG Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi and welcome @MaryB83, I was diagnosed last September with triple negative and still remember that scary and unknown feeling. I am 39 and have a 4 1/2 year old son, I have completed six months chemo and three weeks ago had a bilateral mastectomy. I found getting my friends and family on board really made a difference at a challenging time. I broke my treatments up into parts so that the hill didn't look so steep and I could focus on one step at a time. I wrote everything down and had prepared lots of questions for oncologist, etc.
    Take one day at a time and like the ladies have said this forum is brilliant - I have gained so much knowledge and advice from reading other people's stories  :) xx

• MaryB83
    Options
    My kids are 8, 6 and 3. I was told mastectomy would likely be the treatment followed by radium. My mum is wanting me to have a double (she did after battling for 10 years) but I can't fathom it. I'm a 10G and it's not that I want to stay that size but Going from big to nothing seems impossible... I will do what it takes but yeah I don't know..
  • Sister
    Options
    Try not to look too far ahead at the moment.  Easier said than done, I know.  Things are overwhelming enough without doing that.  And take someone you trust to the appointments with you - someone who can listen and ask questions without having a bias one way or another.  I know that having young kids puts another dimension on things as all you can think about is being there for them.
  • MaryB83
    Options
    So I have ductal carcinoma in situ and invasive carcinoma grade 3 with malignancy in lymph mode. Going for a full body scan tomorrow.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    Good luck @MaryB83. Sending u all my positive thoughts and big hugs. xoxoox
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    You don't have to go to nothing. There are lots of reconstruction options if you want to go down that path. When you see your surgeon he/she can explain what and how and in what order to do it all. Hang in there. K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    Options
    All the best for tomorrow, @MaryB83  .... one step at a time. xx

• Sister
    Options
    Good luck, tomorrow.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow @MaryB83.  Lots of positive thoughts and support here for you.  J xx
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Thinking of you @MaryB83, it's all far too much to take in at the moment . Don't look to far ahead. Big hugs xxxxx