All my girly bits are gone!

Options
Hopes_and_Dreams
Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
I’m writing this in hospital after a full hysterectomy this morning.  My breast cancer was 100% ER/PR and pretty much since my mastectomy my surgeon, oncologist and GP and been recommending this.
Anyway, back from 2 weeks in Japan with 25 school kids on Saturday and straight into hospital.  I know I wanted a break but what a way to do it :)
My big win is the surgeon was expecting to have to do a big abdominal incision due to adhesions from earlier surgeries.  He had a little look via keyhole and managed to get it all done that way!  Yay!!!
I’m feeling a bit funny about this surgery tho.  I don’t really have any attachment to my uterus - we couldn’t have kids despite IVF so that organ let me down big time!  Ovaries? Well, they were in cahoots with my breasts to kill me!  
I said to my husband that there’s not much left of my body which makes me a women - just one breast!   His answer ”yes there is, your soul”
Got to love him!    Jane x

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Hopes_and_Dreams what an amazing husband u have!!!  Glad the surgery went well though and hopefully u r relatively pain free. 
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Options
    One more than me!! I’ve had double mastectomy and ovaries and tubes out so know how you’re feeling. Xx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Yep. 
    We are more than the sum of our parts. Thankfully. Mxx
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Hopes_and_Dreams, Thanks for your post. Great words and wisdom from your husband. Best wishes for your post op recovery. Are you having a break from the kids for a while?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Hopes_and_Dreams - better out by the sound of it!  Huge decision emotionally more so than physically  Wishing you a speedy recovery!  Great comment from hubby!
    Take care 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts @Kiwi Angel, @Sister, @Igray3911, @Zoffiel, @jennyss, @iserbrown
    We are definitely more than the sum of our (remaining) parts.  We all do what we can to minimise risk and be here, healthy and happy for as long as we can.  xx  

• Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    You have a wonderful husband @Hopes_and_Dreams, we ARE more than our parts and your soul IS what counts. Get better soon and enjoy your enforced holiday if you can. Sending you hugs. Xxx
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Options
    Thank you @Finch. All hugs gratefully accepted x
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Your soul and your smile.........look after yourself and get better soon x
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Options
    aah thank you @poodlejules :)
    I was discharged this morning, so nice to be home x
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    You are defined as sugar and spice and all that is nice, not boobs and ovaries. <3
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Options
    Haha love it!  :) Thanks @Brenda5 x
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    @Hopes_and_Dreams All the best with your recovery & so glad you are home now. I am sure your wonderful husband will shower you will love & look after you better than any nurse. What a gem you have there! Sounds like he has stood by you famously through all of this & I'm sure he will continue to be your number one support. I had my ovaries, tubes & uterus polyp removed a few weeks ago due to my mum passing away so young of the dreaded disease. As you said, it reduces our risk now so one less body part that can be targeted by this disease. Have a restful recovery & take it easy. Hugs xx
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @Hopes_and_Dreams
    Great to hear that your surgery went well.
    Just lovely to hear the response from your husband!
    Take care of you, be kind to self.