starting an online blog

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Navigating the online community (formerly the what and how thread).

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I would like to start a blog/diary so that friends can get an update on what is happening without me having to go over everything anytime I talk to anyone.  While I know lots of people care about what is happening to me, I'm finding it a bit daunting to be on the alert that I might need to talk about stuff when I've finally got my mind off the cancer.  I think from the home page that it can be done on this site but never having done a blog before, I've no idea how to start.  And can I designate who is able to see it?  My husband will be able to help me with any finer details of set up if necessary.  Any tips/guidance would be appreciated, or if you do this from another site, what is it?
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    edited May 2018
    Options
    SoldierCrab posted

HI Sister
    I know several women make a new facebook group and call it something that is relevant to them. They also make it secret so only those who are invited know about the group/ or page. 

https//www.facebook.com/groups/1139147459486418/about/ 

@primek
    can you answer any of these questions 

http://https//www.facebook.com/An-ordinary-womans-extraordinary-experience-755583577912529/ 

@ScorpionQueen Can you answer also? 

@Giovanna_BCNA do you know about the blog on BCNA ? 
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    edited May 2018
    Options
    primek posted

I created a group within my facebook page that is invite only and not able to be shared. 

All posts from group members have to have my approval to be seen.

You go to your profile list...choose groups then click on the + sign. From your friends you can choose who is invited. In future as tou develop new friends they can be added in easily (or removed ) 

I know of people that have a general group and then some a bit more private that might include photos etc.
    I also used messenger and created family, friends and work colleague groups as different quick updates done o these. Inused these much less acter I created tbe fb group, but they were great for support when I was away from home having pre op stuff done and without my husband. 
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Sister posted

Thanks, @primek
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    @Sister I use Whattsapp it's very private .... it's secured with end-to-end encryption ..... which is important to me.  
    I'm not so sure about Facebook and its privacy , I used to post lots on Facebook but people can search for you and in the end I preferred Whattsapp. You download the app on your phone,  post photos, updates. You create a group name, and then  add participants from your contact list.
    You can chat back and forth on the group Whattsapp or you can chat privately.
    xxxx
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Options

mum2jj posted

If you are not big into facebook, I used to send
    out an email to a select group  of people after each treatment etc. I also
    asked them to let me know if they wanted to be removed from the list.  It
    was way better than repeating yourself over and over.Paula xx

• Giovanna_BCNA
    Options

Hello @Sister,

I have looked into setting up a blog
    within the online forum space as I understand you would like to be able to
    keep your friends updated regarding your progress and not have to keep
    repeating your self.

You can create a “New Discussion“
    under your profile, copy the URL of the new discussion and email this to your
    friends each time there is an update. 

Alternatively, you can send your
    friends a link to your profile and your friends can check back in each week or
    each month depending on how often you are planning to post an update. The
    online network is however a public space, if you would like for this
    conversation to be private then you can set your account to private but your
    friends would have to set up an account to see your discussions and
    participate. 

Hoping this information helps, most
    happy to discuss further.

Regards Giovanna

• Giovanna_BCNA
    Options

Payne posted

I wanted to post this so the
    member who was considering cold caps might find encouraging. Trying this here
    to see if it works

IMG_1473.jpg416.8

This discussion has been closed.