Reconstruction Surgery or not?

Options
Twice Bitten
Twice Bitten Member Posts: 1
edited April 2018 in General discussion
Nearly 20years ago I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer 'in-situ' onmy left side. Treatment was a complete Masectomy followed by 5 years of taking Tamoxifen. I was always frightened that it would comeback on my right side so I put off reconstructive surgery. If I was to have reconstruction the only option Iwould consider was the Tram Flap using the muscle from my abdominal area to form a new breast. As they can only do this once I waited thinking that if it came back in my right breast that I could have both breasts reconstructed together.  13 years went by and I thought that I had waited long enough. I went in for reconstructive surgery on my left side. I was extremely happy with the results and it was great to feel 'whole' again. Roll on six more years and on a routine check up I was again diagnosed with Breast Cancer on my right side. This time it was invasive and this time two Lymph nodes under my right arm were involved. Treatment was a complete Masectomy on my right side and six months of Chemotherapy followed by 5 weeks of Radiotherapy. I am also on Letrozole possibly for the next 5_10yrs.  I am now nearing 60 years of age. I am back to having to wear a Prothsesis. This is a question that is on my mind. Do I go ahead and have further surgery to reconstruct my right side? Do I leave it be? How many older ladies out there have had reconstruction and how old were you when you had it? If I have reconstruction this time it will mean using a muscle from my back to bring around to my chest wall plus a small implant. They can't match sizes exactly and because of the way my left breast was reconstructed that breast will sag downwards as I age and the right side will move up because of the implant. The implant also would require changing every 10 yrs.    
Tagged:

Comments

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @Twice Bitten,

I am sorry to hear of your rediagnosis.  I too had two diagnosis, although mine was a recurrence in same breast.  I lived with one breast for two years and then had a bilateral recon when I chose to remove my other breast.  If you would like to join the choosing breast reconstruction group please click on the link.  Once you join you can access the photo stories.  We have a lady in the group who has posted after having exactly what you had.  Its called Unique and that link will work once you are joined up.  If not you can go to the photo stories and it appears in both the Lat Dorsi stories and the TRAM/DIEP stories.  It's an old post from 2013 so I'm not sure if she is still active, but  you could try sending her a message. As regards to age, I don't think 60 is old.  I am 55 and had my recon 4 years ago and don't regret it one bit.  As everyone will say, it's a very personal decision and there is no right or wrong, only what's right for you.  We have lots of ladies in the group who have had Lat Dorsi reconstructionsand some have posted photo stories.

I wish you all the best.

Paula xxx

• KatyJoy
    KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
    Options
    @Twice Bitten, I suggest you join the choosing breast reconstruction group, you will find plenty of support and advice there
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Hi!  Hopefully you'll find something useful for your particular need in the Reconstruction group.  What a so and so that you've had to front up after all those years!  We just don't know do we?
    Hope you find comfort and support within this forum
    Take care
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi twice bitten, how unlucky! You’d think you were home n hosed after 13 yrs.It’s such a bugger of a disease.I’ve had 2 bouts of bc but both in the same breast(2003,2010)
    So I’ve put up with being lopsided for the last 8 yrs and I’m now thinking about Diep recon.But my dilemma is whether to do 1 breast or 2. I’m 62 and I worry about the long anaesthetic.I sympathize with you but I’m sure the ladies in the reconstruction group will help you.