Letrozole and unexplained weight loss

Options
Artferret
Artferret Member Posts: 259
Has anyone had the experience of being on letrozole and finding it hard to keep the weight on or at least stable? I am in the position where i can't afford to lose much more weight but it still seems to be slowly decreasing. I have seen a dietitian and tweaked my diet accordingly to add more protein but am a bit hamstrung with fructose malabsorption issues and the need to be on a low cholesterol diet, due to the letrozole. I know weight loss is listed as a side effect of the drug but it is one of the lesser occurring ones. I will be seeing my med onco end of the month so will be quizzing her on it as well. After i saw the dietitian i managed to keep my weight stable for a while but it has started to drop once again and nothing in my diet or exercise regime has changed so I'm puzzled.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    It's always the way - you have the problem others who are gaining weight would like to have! I've been on Letrozole for five years and my weight has been stable but only with the help of watching my diet and regular exercise. As you say, weight loss may be listed as a side effect but it does not seem to be common. I would certainly alert your oncologist to this as it may be the result of a combination of things. Good news is that you have been able to stabilise your weight, you just need to know how to stabilise the stabilising! Best wishes. 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Artferret,

I'm not on letrozole but have lost 11 kgs now on Tamoxifen over the last few months.  Apparently not a common side effect on this one either.  Actually it was more like "No Tamoxifen doesn't do that",,,,,hmmm   seems to be no other reason for it though and I have found a thread on one of the UK sites where some women have had the same thing.   xoxo
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Maybe trying to up the healthy oils such as nuts, olive oil / flaxseed oil, actual olives, avocado might help increase calories and improve healthy/not healthy fat ratio. Good fats/oils assist the bad to not stick as plaque. 

Certainly not a side effect I have had.