Sore Muscles

Options
Kiwi Angel
Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
edited April 2018 in Health and wellbeing
Did anyone else notice during chemo they seemed to have tired muscles. Admittedly I didn’t exercise much at the start of the year with 3 surgeries but am normally very active. Have started to get back into my running and have noticed that my leg muscles just seem to be very tired and not as strong. Wondering if anyone else had this problem. 

Comments

• Fionap2017
    Fionap2017 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I finished chemo a month ago and last week I walked up a steep but quite short hill path. When I got to the top my legs were burning and very weak, I couldn’t breathe and my head was spinning. I didn’t realise how much the chemo had affected my body and fitness until then. Hope your treatment is going well.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I thought because I could walk a fast 5km on a gentle incline that I could do the same slower on a steep hill. I was dizzy, thought I'd throw up and was worried that the ambos would have to come into the forest on retrieval.  Felt a bit crook for about 3 days afterwards.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Kiwi Angel Yes, yes and yes! It wasn't till about six weeks post chemo that I could walk around an oval. Sounds like you are working from a pretty fit 'baseline'; so I bet your muscles and strength build up gradually but very well. Best wishes from jennyss
  • Kiwi Angel
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Fionap2017 @Sister @jennyss. Glad it is not just me!!  Hills are where it is the worst. Tired, burning weak thighs and feel like my heart is about to burst out of my chest. Can plod along quite happily on the flat but the minute I try an incline it is quite a struggle. I also get abit of the dizziness and nausea too. Might have to halve my run whilst going through the process and keep the inclines to a minimum till after treatment. So thankful for this forum. So great to get others experiences and makes u realise u aren’t alone xoxo
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Fionap2017 and @Kiwi AngelYou have described my current experience precisely. I am four weeks past my last dose of chemo. I live on top of a hill and walk a lot in a hilly area. I am genuinely shocked how hard it is now. For me it kicked in after my third round of TC Steph, fine on the flat but insane chest bursting heart, dizziness & nausea on a incline. But this last week my quadriceps have started to become stiff and sore as well. I'm thinking it could be chemopause aches and pains. But honestly, who can tell at this point? Bloody annoying and rather unpleasant  :#
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    @kmakm. Bloody annoying I know - I was wondering what was going on with me!!  U know some of the things that chemo will do but then these unexpected things pop up. I realise just how much I have been taking my perfectly functioning body for the last 43 years!!  Definately the incline - my thighs are wobbling just thinking about it!!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Sadly my thighs wobble without me thinking about them...  :p
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    I just sent to my chiropractor for my dodgy back and he also does kinesiology (not that I know a lot about that part of his practice), but he said I should just stick to things like walking and yoga as the running can upset the adrenal system.