Sharing your breast cancer experience with the media

Sophie_BCNA
Sophie_BCNA Member Posts: 4
edited April 2018 in Community news and events

Are you interested in sharing your breast cancer story?

BCNA exists to support and advocate for our members. The media (print, radio, TV and online) is one way we keep the wider Australian community aware
of what BCNA does and what more needs to be done to improve breast cancer treatment in our health system.

Our members have so many wonderful and important stories, and we want to help you to share them with a wider audience. We're creating a list of BCNA members who are keen to share their stories with the media, so we can draw on them if and when required. 

Here are some examples of stories our media team has worked on with our members and the news media:

Long wait times for breast reconstruction surgery in Cairns, QLD:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-27/breast-cancer-survivors-agonising-wait-reconstruction-north-qld/9089424

The impact of sexual side effects of breast cancer treatment (featuring @SoldierCrab):
https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/health/article/2018/02/26/breaking-taboos-talking-about-sexual-side-effects-breast-cancer-treatment

Men's breast cancer awareness day:
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5000764/wollongong-man-raises-awareness-after-mastectomy/

If you are willing to be interviewed please direct message either @Marianne_BCNA or myself @Sophie_BCNA with your name,
state and topic you’d like to speak about. It can be any topic related to your
breast cancer journey - good or bad, happy
or sad. 

We fully respect that many people do not want to publicly
share their story which is why we will only contact people who register their
interest to be involved. You will  be contacted by a BCNA staff member to check whether you are still interested before your details are passed
on to a journalist.

Tagged:

Comments

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there love feel free to use the interview i did With Pippa Sheehan from channel 10 late last year about wait times for recon in Brisbane too if you like. Margie.  Xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I am happy to share my story. Anything to raise awareness and help save a life. Put me on the list BCNA.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Happy to share my story but you know that ;)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    Happy to help
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Not sure I have anything groundbreaking to say but happy to be interviewed. Have inboxed.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Perhaps ask the fellas too. @traveltext
  • Lisa Janelle
    Lisa Janelle Member Posts: 45
    I would be happy to share 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    There was a pilot '''Step Down" clinic at the local hospital here where woman who had a call back could go to get rescreened. After 12 months they closed it. Breast screen now sends a recalls a letter telling them to front up at Ringwood. 

Predictably people dont question this, despite Maroondah Health being 4 hours away if you drive and 7, yes 7, hours away if you need to use public transport.This when there is a  perfectly appropriate facility in located 50 metres away from where the original screen was taken.

So why are people being called to the big smoke? Money. Breast Screen gets paid for follow up services at Maroondah, and nothing if further tests are done locally. This is bloody disgraceful and I lobbied for years to get an addition to the recall letter stating it didn't matter where you went, you must needed further investigation. No, they wouldnt do it. Grrr.

Yes Breast Screen is a great service, but they don't always have the patients at the top of the priority list.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Thank you for trying @Zoffiel.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Most of my journey is already on bnca but the diagnosis and surgery may not be. I have most of it on a word doc and happy to share.
  • Hendrix
    Hendrix Member Posts: 322
    Happy to share my story
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    If we can get the media at all interested in lymphoedema as a long term side effect, I would be happy to talk about that. 

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @Afraser
    totally agree