Nothing to wear except for black pants and flat shoes. Arrrgh.

Options
Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
edited March 2018 in General discussion

I don't want to go to my graduation ceremony. I've never gone any of my graduation ceremonies--a degree, two Diplomas, two Cert IV and two Cert III; I've always just had the paper work posted out.

I did a double Advanced Diploma while I was in treatment and, tomorrow, I'm supposed to turn up and get the piece of paper. In public. I bloody loathe crowds, waiting and artifice but, most of all, I hate the fact my bloated autopaused  body won't fit into any of my lovely stylish clothing. GGGAARRRGGGHH!

No amount of deep breaths, shape wear, orthopedic stockings or creative op shopping is going to get me into anything classic other than bloody black pants, a shapeless top and flat shoes. OMG, who would have thought my life would come to this?

Should I succumb to the ordinary or go seriously OTT ridiculous? I refuse to wear the 'deconstructed' clothing that is currently marketed to the fuller figure--who the hell is fooled by any of that?  Maybe looking like a footballer in drag is better than looking like a Sad Nanna?

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Well it's probably too late but there really are some nice bigger clothing out there. I found slightly eccentric bohemian style suited me. It allowed camoflage layering which actually has fooled people in my case. But dress up the boring stuff with stylish jewelry or scarves if nit too hot. I found a use for all my scarves. Haha. Autograph have some beautiful clothes if you require a large 16. 
  • Zoffiel
    Options
    I'm in denial about layers. You should see my bedroom at the moment--thousands of dollars of doesn't fit. Sigh.
  • Zoffiel
    edited March 2018
    Options

All of which is a 1st world problem and officially qualifies as a rant. Sigh.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Probably too late as well, but I've found a lateral move into different cultures can assist. Eg the Indian kurta is a stylish & forgiving garment. Never underestimate the power of basic black (Melbourne gal here!) and like @Primek says, a fabulous scarf/statement jewellery/cool glasses/hat/bag/boots/shoes can do a lot of fashion work for you. None of which is much use to you tonight. Forget about it now and see how you feel in the morning.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @Zoffiel As has been said - you'll rock any ensemble. But it is frustrating and infuriating and downright depressing. Black and colourful accessories with your own amazing presence will probably carry you through.
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    @zoffiel in 2010 I graduated with a double degree and was so excited to cap 'n' gown for graduation. When the day came around, though, it suddenly dawned on me that I was required to up-stairs, across stage, shake hands, down-stairs in front of hundreds of guests and students. I was mortified even though a healthy, spritely (albiet excruciatingly shy) 32yo. I totally understand the anxiety such an event can impose. However, I did it, and my mother and sisters were literally teary with pride. I was the first in my family to graduate university in 3 generations and I realised my graduation wasn't all about me. Turns out, that day I dreaded, is amongst my bestest memories. Be proud of your achievements! You worked bloody hard for it, so no one gives a flying... if you wear pink overalls.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Gee @Zoffiel I am not much chop with sartorial advice but I agree with many others that you are quite a gal and this will shine thru whatever you wear.You could of course retreat and not attend but I think you owe it to yourself for all the work you expended under tough circumstances- I would be surprised if those present who know your story don’t  stand up and cheer - I would . Go for it @Zoffiel in the knowledge you have the support and respect not only of family and friends but of probably everyone on this blog - hold your head high you have earned it !
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    3 cheers to you @Zoffiel all I managed was a First Aid Course !
    Go forth and get that piece of paper. No one will notice what you have on , and they might all be too busy taking selfies :D . Such a great achievement, good on you !!
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    PS @Zoffiel my best sartorial advice is shoulders back , head held high and a bloody big grin!
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Black is fine, pink is better
    Flat shoes are on trend
    Just be there, 'cos it matters! 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Pink overalls, bare feet, put "hashtag" in front of every other thing you say, and everyone will think you're on the cutting edge of the zeitgeist. Go for it!

On a serious note, congratulations and well done. You should be very proud, no matter what you wear.
  • Zoffiel
    Options
    The other option is to stay awake all night so I'm too tired to go. Fixed it.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Head held high!  You've gotten through all of this crap AND earned a piece of paper - as said earlier - who gives a flying.  Make it about you!  And if it's pink overalls and bare feet, so be it.  Take your time on the stairs - tell 'em they can't rush you.