Next question - on waking

Options

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I've never gotten into chai - always found it too sweet.  If you're room has a fridge, I found it good to have a couple of cold drinks of my choice in there.  You can only take so much hospital cordial.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    The other thing I took for my second op was facial wipes.  I guess it's the air-conditioning and being stuck inside but I constantly felt like I needed to wash my face as it always felt greasy - the wipes were great.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I love it @Sister, but only have it occasionally because of the sugar. Same with cordial. Thanks for the tip about the cold drinks, good idea.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    I'm afraid all my hospital stays have turned me into an Ice Addict. A chipped ice addict. The hospital has these chipped ice and water machines on each ward, and I visit almost  hourly to get my fix. Eaten from the cup with a teaspoon, Can't get enough of it. I forgot  to mention before...bendy straws so you don't have to sit all the way up for little sippies.
  • kmakm
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @AllyJay Love those straws. My mother named them "invalid straws" when I was a child and the name stuck!
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I did a lot of travel throughout India by bus and train back mid 80s pre India becoming an industrial powerhouse.TBH I not sure I wouldn’t be disappointed as things were much simpler then. Also I was fleet of foot and convinced of my own invincibility.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Romla My first visit was when I was 43 so I've only ever been a middle aged woman there! We do lots of walking, sightseeing, shopping, coffee and cocktails. About town we like to fang about in an auto-rickshaw, and a mixture of trains, planes and automobiles for inter-city travel. It is my happy place!
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hi @kmakm - I can tell you right here from the coal face that one of the most useful things you can bring to hospital with you is an extra-long charging cable for your phone! I had remembered from when my dad was in st Vincent’s that the power plugs are high on the wall behind the bed! No way the regular cord can reach the tray table and no way you can reach the power plug on the first day! It might not be the same situation where you’re going but I bought a 2-Metre cord from jb hifi to bring with me and it was one of the best purchases I’ve ever made! 

My surgery is all over now! Feeling great and looking forward to going home as soon as I’m allowed! X 
  • kmakm
    Options
    I learned that one from my excisions last year and bought it immediately before I forgot!

I am so glad to hear from you and that everything went well. Was anything different from what you expected after your questions? What surprised you? What didn't? Kate xox
  • Eastmum
    Options
    No bandages! Just some sort of plastic, and I only have one, relatively short suture line because they managed to open an old breast reduction scar. Haven’t had a proper look at it yet though because I haven’t had a shower yet. 
    Also had catheter taken out in recovery - but that was because of quite a hilarious episode of the catheter leaking. But it meant that I could get up and walk (with assistance) to the loo about 2 hours after coming back to my room! 
    Wonderful anaesthetic experience - absolutely no nausea at all. 
    I can move my arms absolute everywhere - even up above my head - it’s sittng up that’s challenging as the most discomfort is from my pec muscles and the expanders. 
    I think day 2 will be more realistic as pain meds lessen - will let you know! X 
  • kmakm
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad you were happy with the anaesthetic, makes such a difference. And it sounds like your surgeon has been very considerate and clever. Go you! K xox
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Great to hear @Eastmum! Have been thinking of you xxx
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Thanks @nikkid - so great to be on the ‘other side’! Xx
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    It is isn’t it? Now it’s all about the healing and recovery. Listen to your body; rest when you need to; be kind to yourself and keep those pain meds up if you feel uncomfortable!!!! X
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Hi @kmakm - from the coal face, here’s what I’m so happy I came to hospital with (apart from my long charging cables):
    . Singlet tops  - bought them big and nurse helped me put drains through the arm holes. So comfy and easy for drs and nurses to check everything while giving great cover when visitors come. Plus it’s so hot in my room they’re great to sleep in
    . Huge scarf to cover my shoulders and drain bags for when visitors come in or I’m walking around outside
    . iPad and netflix
    . Wet wipes
    . Aromatherapy diffuser with lavender essential oil - so lovely to go to sleep with
    . My own pillow from home
    . Mints

Desparately praying to the drain fairy to hurry up - I’m so impatient to get drains out. I’m actually feeling terrific and going a bit stir crazy. :)