Next question - on waking

Options

Comments

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Not the ‘scullery’ nerve - the axillary nerve!!!!
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Thanks again @nikkid I really appreciate your generosity in giving info xx
  • nikkid
    Options
    Feel free to inbox w any questions - I’m coming up (April 13) to my 2 year anniversary! So much has happened but at times like this (when someone asks a question) it only feels like yesterday!
  • Eastmum
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi @iserbrown - it’s far from ‘curiosity’. It’s a scary and anxious time for me and knowing what to expect and how to prepare for the surgery is exactly what I need to help me go into it with a ‘settled state of mind.’  Everyone is different. I’m a very pragmatic person and I am very grateful to everyone who has generously answered my questions. I apologise if my questions seem frivolous compared to what others have had on their mind prior to surgery. I do realise there are more serious considerations than bandages and cushions. I’m really so sorry if I’ve offended anyone. 
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Thanks so much @nikkid   :/ 
  • nikkid
    Options
    Totally understand - I needed to know everything....it helped me gain a sense of control. We are all different. I liked my surgeons drawing pictures and giving me names and labels for everything.

Funny though, by the time it came to my final procedure...I just let go. Just wanted it over and done with.

We are all different but in that difference and adversity is a wonderful rich tapestry of gorgeousness xxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Eastmum I'm with you about the questions. Some things it never occurs to me to ask about, yet others, seemingly trivial, worry at me. I'm always asking questions. Curiosity! But also yes, how I settle my mind (and nerves) too. I'm a planner (pragmatism) and feel better when I have one. And I can't have one if I don't have the info!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @Eastmum I do the same.  I think it's the librarian coming out in me.  I like to go into anything knowing what to expect and then I can let it go.  Or at the very least, be prepared for anything different and be able to ask the questions.
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Thanks again @nikkid @Sister @kmakm @Zoffiel @primek with my clipped wings I’ll ask you any more questions in private messages. Really appreciate the support at this scary time. Have a great day  :)
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    My comment is based on concern for you as some advice coming through is from Diep flap surgery not mastectomy with expanders. Totally different procedures. 
    Catheter is dependent on how your body reacts. 
    Drains, everyone is different, some are a few days some are much longer!
    Hopefully this information helps you however, my concern was and still is, you're putting yourself in an anxious state of expectation and if your drains and bandages or lack thereof could do your head in thinking you've been ripped off after your fact finding information. The team looking after you will be able to answer your questions.
    Take care
  • iserbrown
    Options
    What I forgot to add was I was absolutely thrilled to wake to a cleavage from the first fill of the expander.  Hope that's how you feel!
  • nikkid
    Options
    Hi @iserbrown - I had both a left vertical skin sparing mastectomy (with insertion of an aeroform expander) and then, 12 months later, a DIEP Reconstruction :)
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I must admit the drain thing made me feel a little sick at first, or was it the anesthetic gas which as it turned out I am allergic to? I had a single mastectomy and had one drain. It was an overnight stay for me and I had self dissolving stitches and a broad tape over those. 
    I finally got the drain out after a week or two and I had to go back to surgery for an axillary clearance and got a drain for that too. Still an over night stay but no gas this time so no night of hurling my insides up into a bag. Again self dissolving stitches and some tape.
    The biggest thing - painkillers. Make sure you get them from the hospital before you leave. Targin was a good one for me on the second op. On the first one I tried to tough it out with panadol and nurofen. Big mistake.
  • iserbrown
    Options
    No worries - as I said earlier my concern was and still is about being anxious about what may or may not happen!  
  • nikkid
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi @Sunshine0206  - just warning that this is the open section of the BCNA online which means that anyone could potentially get access to this. However, if you would like to share photos, this can be done in the closed and private space of the Breast Reconstruction Group (just to protect your privacy). :) x