Life is a Team Effort

Londog
Londog Member Posts: 19
Left mastectomy 13/3 with 1 sentinel node biopsy.  Home now recovering.  My biggest worry now is prognosis next week.  1 tumour was estrogen+'ve and progesterone+'ve. The other possibly benign.  Through other recent health issues (reversed Type 2 Diabetes) I have become deeply distrustful of western medicine.  Cycling through "I got this" to absolutely terror.

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It's a tough time waiting for the report. Try to focus on recovering from surgery - one step at a time.  Best wishes for good news.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Londog,

It just seems like this whole process takes for ever with endless endless waiting.  Waiting for results is horrible because your brain plays tricks on you and always thinks the worst not matter what you tell it.  As @Sister said, one day at a time, one step at a time. 
    Once you have results and a plan you will feel somewhat more in control. Rest assured the breast cancer merry go round is a very well oiled machine in Australia they know their stuff.  Have faith in your team but don't be afraid to question things along the way if you aren't happy.  Ask your breast care nurse a zillion questions she will be a wealth of knowledge and support for you. These beautiful ladies are on your side and are a fantastic go between you and your team.  
    Do feel free to ask questions, vent frustrations or whatever on this forum.  
    We all get it 
    All the best and keep in touch.

XOXOXOX
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @londog You have got this, but you will cycle through that terror too. Take some slow deep breaths when the terror grips you. Put one hand on your belly and the other on your chest (where it doesn't hurt), breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth. Be kind to yourself, accept help, listen to your doctors and listen to your gut. One hour at a time, and try not to cross bridges until you come to them. Hang in there.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Hi @Londog. I have had a couple of bad experiences with medical people on my recent road. The original ultrasound said my now cancer was nothing to worry about and my surgeon post op, before any pathology results told me I had stage IV cancer and put myself and family through hell until CT and lymph nodes came back clear and find out a I have stage IIA cancer. It has been a steep learning curve and I have now surrounded myself with a good group of professionals. Waiting is the absolute worst and unfortunately you always think worst case scenario. Just rely on the support of your friends and family and I have found the ladies in this group to be great support and a wealth of knowledge. 
  • Londog
    Londog Member Posts: 19
    Thank you ladies.  It's confronting and confronting to know you are not alone in this.
    I'm
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Any little treats planned? 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    It can be a trapped feeling, like when I was pregnant with my kids and I knew sooner or later there was going to be the painful birth part.
    Good news is you have had the surgery and thats one of the big major helps to treatment. Take your time with other treatment decisions and talk to your Magrath breast care nurse as another brain to sound off of helps.