Chemo

Marketta
Marketta Member Posts: 34
edited March 2018 in General discussion
Did anyone have AC and be fine? I had side effects the first day, really sick and neausea but then last few days have been good ( better than I thought-functional I’d probably say as a better word) apart from a shocking tension headache and slight fatigue but I’m just thinking this is only day 5 of a long road! Everyone wants me to rest, but I’m worried these are my good days and I’m wasting them in bed if I have energy to get up! If I stay in bed I feel lazy but is it helping me because I’m giving my body rest? I’m so confused! Is this as good as I’ll feel and I’ll progressively get worse and worse as I go along to my 2nd, 3rd, 4th treAtment? I’m looking for positive feedback with little side effects from chemo? In aim to be hopeful I’m only 36 I have 2 small kids I feel so lost

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Dear Marketta
    Everything about diagnosis and treatment tends to confuse and disorient! You have both yourself and your family to think about so the temptation to look ahead and worry about how you will manage is very great. As far as possible, try and deal with each day as it comes. And you are the best judge of how you feel. People mean well but often really don't understand. Do things if you can and it makes you feel better. Stop when you can't. I had a comparatively easy time on A/C - no fatigue, no nausea. I did get a possible side effect later but it was almost certainly compounded by age (I was 67) so not a concern for you. The pattern of feeling unwell week one and much better weeks 2 and 3 is fairly common. You will find out what your pattern is and that's likely to continue for each treatment. It's a bit easier to handle when you know better what to expect and unfortunately that's very individual. Hang in there, one more treatment and you are half way through this bit! Best wishes.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Marketta Only you know how your body is feeling. If your body (and mind) says rest, rest. If they say do the laundry, do the laundry! Be mindful to pace yourself, but sometimes doing 'normal' things help you to feel much better. Chemo side effects can be cumulative in your body so your routines may change as treatment goes on, but only you can say. We're all different. I struggle with this but all the wonderful people here say try to take things one day at a time. Chemo is no walk in the park... you are not being lazy by lying in bed! Be kind to yourself. Hang in there. K xoc
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Do what your body says to but don't do more.  In fact, the current thinking is that if you can do some exercise (walking or the like) you will get over the effects better.  Also, that when you're up for it (for me it was Day 10, first AC, then Day 7, second AC) you'll do yourself major good long-term by moderate-high intensity cardio - so, walking at a pace where you can talk but not sing.
  • Marketta
    Thank you everyone ❤️
  • Ashanty88
    Ashanty88 Member Posts: 38
    Hang in there Makeerta lm on day 1 of Ac it has been hell . We can climb this hill . TLC to your body and mind . Look at those precious kids. I have a toddler full of energy. Well tired now but stay strong 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It'll get better in a few days @Chipo
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Marketta ,
     I had 4 x 3 weekly AC. 12 weekly taxol  I just did as much as I felt capable.  It's all up to you. 
    Day 1 sucked. Day two and three were great, heaps of energy from the steroids, crash day was day 4 then got better.  You'll work out the routine for you.  My biggest problem was incredible hot flushes.  I will say though the 4th round took longer to recover from.

Doing normal things as much as I could kept me sane, so did planning jobs to do.  I renovated my dining room, rode my horse, mowed, fenced, went camping, worked, tagged along with my husband to campdrafts and partied with the cowboys in the bar! If I wanted to go out and have a good time, I planned it in line with the steroid rush LOL

There are no rules.  Do whatever gets you through.  For me that was staying  busy and as normal as possible.  Took my mind off it a bit.  Some days were crap, but there were a lot that weren't.  

All the best.
    XOXOXOX
  • Marketta
    @kezmusc that’s awesome! Thank you! At this stage my children’s moods are the hardest things to combat over everything! Thank you for the optimistic outlook though and the energy! I appreciate that! 
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond!
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Hi @Marketta, I did quite well on both chemo combos. I was never nauseous, but it did take all my energy. Food also tasted like Crap. I remember my first Ac and going home and feeling scared about what hideous side effects were to come . I waited and waited but mostly I was very fatigued the first week and gradually felt a bit better. Constipation was an issue on Ac for me so I took coloxyl regularly.
    Hope it's smooth sailing for you .