That was naughty

Options
Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
This week marked twelve months since I finished chemo. I'm still feeling like shit a great deal of the time but, hey, any day above ground...

I was lying in bed yesterday morning moaning about my aches and pains while my partner moaned about theirs, a truly joyous chorus. We've been talking about going away for a holiday but funds are tight and it all seems to be too bloody hard...finding the money, putting the hound into the kennels or organising a dog sitter blah blah blah. And, with two houses in a constant state of renovation, there always seems to be so much else to do.

Anyway it occurred to me we are a long time dead and I should probably stop practicing for said event and do some things that I enjoy. I love fishing and camping but I'm too creaky to sleep in a swag now, besides, everything bites me and setting up tents gives me the shits.

So, I heaved myself out of bed, got onto Gumtree and went and bought myself an off road camper trailer. Just. Like. That.
I emptied my wallet and left an assortment of change as a deposit and I'm going into the bank to draw money out of my mortgage tomorrow to pay for it. Then I'm going to leave it hitched to the Princess ute who only gets a run every once in a while and I'm going to head up the bush in style. With the hound. So there.

My partner was horrified about me blowing a hole in my finances on a whim, but I don't care.

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Bloody brilliant!

I'm a cautious worrier when it comes to money but I do listen to my gut. And sometimes my gut says X is better for the soul than money in the bank. I rarely regret it.

So glad to hear this story. You deserve it. Been awake for hours and feeling frustrated, but you've put a smile on my face as I'm typing. GOOD MORNING!!!

Make sure you pack the insect repellent!
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    Excellent !!! As you've said, we're all going to be dead for an awfully long time, so live while we're alive. My philosophy for spending money, (specifically on my adult kids and grandson), is that I'd rather give a gift with warm hands than cold. Why should they have to wait until I kark it before they receive what I wish to give? Treat yourself the same way, give to yourself while you're still around to receive it...enjoy your camper trailer and nail those fish.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Good on you and if you decide to do a long run up to Queensland, come to Burrum Heads and sit on my veranda with me watching the birds and the beach. <3
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Nice!  Good on you Zoffiel!  I can't wait to hear about your adventures.  If money is tight, google freecamping.  The last time I looked there were quite a few places you could stay for a few days for free :) 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Yep my place is free and there is a paved side driveway for your vehicle. You just need the petrol to get here.

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    @zoffiel have fun!! $$ in the bank can be reassuring but $$ spent on experiences is life giving! @AllyJay, hadn't hear that one before, but will remember it - better to give a gift with warm hands rather than cold. Good one. 
  • Scared Mum
    Scared Mum Member Posts: 169
    Options
    That is awesome  @Zoffiel get out and have some fun  <3 
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Not naughty.... Fantastic.
    Enjoy your travels
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    Options
    Love it! Have fun xx
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    Good on you - enjoy!!
  • JSN
    JSN Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Follow your heart and dreams and whims!!

I love camping as well but there is no possible way I could sleep in a blow up mattress on the ground because it is unlikely I would be able to get back up!

When people ask me what it is like-the pain/discomfort post chemo - I describe it as 'double gravity' and everything is harder and takes a great deal more effort.  So when I go camping again it will be in comfort such as a camper or total glamping!

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    i'm so jealous and happy for you - I've been looking at camper trailers on gumtree since just before this monster arrived!  Have fun!!!!
  • Payne
    Payne Member Posts: 150
    Options
    I like your style @Zoffiel.  I also have free parking with power by the river.  Forster NSW.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Go @Zoffiel!!!! You deserve something special. Happy travels. Xx