question for musicians

Bella1
Bella1 Member Posts: 8
Has anyone had any experience of returning to playing their violin or viola after mastectomy?
I play the viola and am very worried about the impact of forthcoming surgery.
thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    I don’t play violin or viola, but DO play ukulele .... which lies across your chest and puts pressure on the actual boob area.  I found it took a while longer than I thought to ‘accept’ this pressure on the wound area even tho I had a lumpectomy, not mastectomy and was sleeping ok on my tummy already!  Weird!

With a mastectomy, I would think the main problem area would be in lifting your arm up into the ‘shoulder hold’ posi5ion, depending on how many nodes are removed and whether there is an incision under your arm as well as the boob area.

Everyone is unique in their wound recovery - I hope your recovery goes well and maybe just make haste slowly so that you get your full range of movement back so you can get back playing again.

Good luck on your journey - hoping for the best outcome for you.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I don't play an instrument but it's true that arm mobility is extremely variable. I had a mastectomy and axillary clearance (17 nodes) but my arm mobility was painless and excellent within a few days. Others finds it is slower (and a bit more painful). As with so much, patience is often the only course. Best wishes. 
  • Bella1
    Bella1 Member Posts: 8
    thank you both for your thoughts.  It's encouraging to hear about the quick regain of mobility you found Afraser and that you are obviously playing your ukele again now arpie.  Yes I am having an axillary clearance also, and it is the left breast.  So it is a worry, but I think taking slow steps afterwards will be my plan.
    thank you both and best wishes