Got through first round of chemo

Options
JoB
JoB Member Posts: 8
edited March 2018 in Newly diagnosed
I had my first round of chemo Friday 23rd Feb, I was so nervous and just didn't know what to expect but it wasn't as bad as I imagined.  It took 4 attempts to find a vein for the cannula and if i'm honest that was the worse part.  I am having 6 rounds of AC fortnightly and have been booked in to have a port fitted before my next round.  I am quiet anxious about the port, trying not to think about it too much as I know it will be better for me in the long run.  I think I have been lucky with the side effects, the worse ones for me have been tiredness and indigestion, I have had hardly any nausea at all which I'm pleased about. I've even managed to work 3 days this week which is great for me, I want to keep as active as I can and keep my mind working.

I suppose the next big thing for me is dealing with the hair loss, which I think I am ready for but really are any of us really ready for that.  I can't see myself wearing a wig and have bought a few hats, scarves etc.  I'll miss my red hair when it goes and I don't think I will ever moan about my hair not doing what I want it to do again..

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Well done @JoB! Pat yourself on the back. Impressive that you worked. Have you got something that works for the indigestion? Lots out there, don't suffer in silence. My onc gave me a prescription for omeprazole, which didn't make it go away but did help. Reactions to hair is so individual. For what it's worth, it didn't bother me much at all when it all went. Best of luck. K
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    That's great @JoB!  One of the nurses told me a little trick when the cannula is being inserted.  Pinch the opposite side of your waist hard.  Totally takes your mind of the cannula insertion and works for blood tests as well.  All the best. xoxo
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Moj
    Moj Member Posts: 1
    Options

@JoB I have been diagnosed in September had mastectomy in October. Started my 1st round of chemo in November and been working at the same time.  Like you I wanted to be active and keep myself bussy which I did for past 4 months but I became so weak and tired that I had to stop working from Monday.
    stage 2 breast cancer with 16 round of Chemo I’m half way I have to say.
    be positive and strong
  • Mimma
    Mimma Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi @JoB I had my first AC  on the 26th.  I'll be having 4 'dose dense' AC's with neulasta and then 12 weekly taxol.  I have suffered terribly this week with symptoms - nausea, fatigue , disorientation and vertigo and my skin is really sore. Day 3 and 4 were the worst for me.  Feeling a little more human today, mouth not as sore,  but still terrible vertigo - maybe low BP.  As this is my first chemo treatment I"m terrified of how I"m going to feel after my 2nd, 3rd and 4th AC.  Really thought I'd fare a bit better than this as I worked hard to get as healthy as possible prior to starting chemo, but symptoms are really getting me down... feeling useless and inefficient..
    I am booked in for a port on the 19th March, as this is the earliest they can do it. (public hospital).  Don't know how on earth I'm going to cope with fasting prior to the general anaesthetic as eating small bits is the only thing that settles my stomach.  Wish I'd been told about the usefulness of a port prior to chemo, so I could have got on the waiting list earlier!  Best wishes to you and all the other ladies here.  Stay strong!!
  • kmakm
    Options
    Hang in there @Mimma. Have you asked your breast care nurse what could help with your skin?
  • Mimma
    Mimma Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Kmakm  I'm happy to say that as of this afternoon (day 6 post first AC) my skin has improved at bit!  But no doubt it will feel awful again after my next chemo.  Yes I'll ask the nurse and see what she suggests.  Thanks.
  • kmakm
    Options
    Oh that's good to hear @Mimma.

I get a rash after each dose of TC chemo. And needed scalp care advice (such a large new area to care for!). I started a discussion to ask for advice and got some nice suggestions. I'll tag you in it. Might be useful. Kate xox