Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Massage with spinal mets is this a good thing?

Options
Sam09
Sam09 Member Posts: 149
Hi everyone 
Im so dreaming of a massage ! Does anyone know if this is ok as my back has a few aches and im post weights sore and sooo need a massage but am a little apprehensive.  :)

Comments

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi @Sam09, I have been having a full body massage every month for the last7years, when I was on IV chemo I went to a massage therapist who was oncology massage accredited, but since then I have been going to the same lady and she is fully accredited massage therapist, I dont have a deep tissue massage she adjusts her pressure to how I am feeling on the day, please go ahead and find someone, it will be worth it even if just a relaxation massage, just so long as you explain your diagnosis should be all good, go ahead, treat yourself you deserve it, its the one thing I do for myself every month,if you have a McGrath nurse ask her opinion or your doctor, its up to you but pamper yourself, have you ever had reiki, my therapist is trained in that as well and sometimes I have both, good for the body and soul!!!
    ps get my ct scan results tomorrow to see if any new nasties in my liver or surrounding area,
    pps I got diagnosed in 2013, so had been having a massages for a long time before and after chemo - 
    just do it!

wendy55
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi again @Sam09, sorry I should have mentioned that yes, I do have many mets in and around my spine area, I had palliative radiotherapy nearly 2 years ago for pain on my lower back and found that it really worked, I only take pain relief for break through pain now, 
    wendy55
  • Sam09
    Sam09 Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Wendy a big thank you hugz i will......
  • LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    Options
    I also have a massage every month......its is wonderful. I did check with my oncologist and she said it was ok. 
  • jena
    jena Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi @Sam09  I have Mets in my spine, hips and pelvis   I find a massage most relaxing and rejuvenating. My regular massage therapist is oncology accredited.  I generally like to have a massage every couple of weeks.  However when I’ve not been well, it’s the last thing I feel like

While on holidays recently I enjoyed a massage from my best friends massage therapist - a deep relaxing massage from a fella with healing, strong, gentle hands That was THE best massage I have ever enjoyed!  So I recommend giving it a burl. If it feels good, I recon it’ll be doing you the world of good. Best of healing wishes to you. 
  • MoiraC
    MoiraC Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi Sam09 - My understanding is that oncology massage is fine by the doctors. I just started having them and like you was apprehensive because of bone mets. It has been wonderful. and I feel so much more relaxed and less tense in holding my body from pain. It is a much gentlier process than deep tissue massage. I hope you can find someone locally - in Sydney it is certainly available at the Lifehouse at Royal Prince Alfred. All the very best for your healing