Out of pocket expenses - share our stories

Options
jennyss
jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
edited May 2018 in General discussion
Greetings to all network members.
I guess we have all received an email from BCNA encouraging us to take part in a survey conducted by the Consumers Health Forum - to find out more about 'out of pocket expenses'. I have already submitted my response.
My main points were that lucky ducks like me have struck a good combination of private surgery but with surgeon and anaesthetist charging no gap fee, followed by free public chemotherapy and radiotherapy and backed up by wonderful information and support from my Breast Care Nurse.
In my response I said that it is very unfair and inconsistent that all breast cancer patients don't have access to the same low cost, high quality treatment options. Location or income or insurance should not make a difference. 
41 deg here in Dubbo at the moment; so whole afternoon spent inside in front of the air conditioner!
Best wishes from jennyss

Tagged:

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Yes I received this. Weirdly I thought this was all done at time of state of tbe nation @SoldierCrab ...did you do one before?
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    Sorry, but I have not received anything - maybe my experience is not important ???????
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    ages ago I did one like back around summit time @primek

• primek
    Options
    @ summerhill...I thought it might have been as less than 2 years but you joined in 2014...so that's weird.
  • primek
    Options
    I wonder if it was sent to those who did it last time for an update. 
  • jennyss
    Options
    I got my email from BCNA on 19th Jan.I didn't do a survey earlier. I only joined the network in late 2017??? Perhaps one of the BCNA team will let us know. 
    Back down to 24 deg now at 6.30am with a nice easterly breeze, but expecting 41 again today
    Best wishes to all
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    I don't recall seeing an email, but maybe it went to my junk mail or something. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I don't remember any email (unless it looked like spam and I deleted it) but I've only been here since the beginning of December.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @Marianne_BCNA can you follow this up please ? 
  • Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    Options
    jennyss for posting about this online. This is what was posted on Facebook on Friday afternoon: 
    For years we have heard from our members about the out-of-pocket costs they incur during and following breast cancer – we know these costs are a great source of stress and can result in financial strain for women, men and their families. We now have an opportunity to raise our concerns through the newly appointed bill shock government committee. We are joining with Consumers Health Forum of Australia to ensure the committee understands how bill shock affects thousands of Australians year after year. Help us make a difference by completing the survey below! You can also share your story about out of pocket costs by sending it via private message or emailing policy@bcna.org.au. These stories will help us illustrate the extent of the problem and shape solutions to this health policy dilemma. Take the survey at https://chf.org.au/out-pocket-pain

SoldierCrab will follow up about the email tomorrow (Mon 22/01) as I wasn’t in on Friday.

• Rosie_BCNA
    Options
    Sorry my iPad keeps reformatting my typing! Thanks @jennyss and @SoldierCrab
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    I got the email yesterday and did the survey. Good idea ... self care is not cheap!
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    I got the email too.
  • jennyss
    Options
    Thanks Rosie_BCNA and SoldierCrab  and all who have posted about expenses. Sounds like it is a current survey and issue. Hope as many of us as possible can contribute about our expensive experiences - sock it to em!
    43 deg. forecast here today!
  • Rosie_BCNA
    Options
    @Summerhill38, @SoldierCrab, @jennyss The email about the out of pocket costs of treatment and Consumer Health Forum survey link was sent on Friday to people in the BCNA database who were diagnosed after 1/01/2015. This date was chosen to enable the most recent and accurate information. The email is the same as the FB post included above. If you are facing financial distress related to your breast cancer diagnosis
    and would like to hear about the types of supports available to you, call our
    Helpline on 1800 500 258.