Seeking info about St Vincent's experiences please

Options
Eastmum
Eastmum Member Posts: 495
Hi everyone - I'm just taking my first steps on this journey and would be grateful to hear about any experiences through the St Vincent's system in Sydney. Everyone I know who has been treated for Breast Cancer has gone through Prince of Wales. My scans etc have always been at St Vincent's and I've always felt very well looked after but now that I actually need oncologists and need to choose a plastic surgeon, it would help immensely to hear some real life recommendations please. Thanks so much in advance. 
Tagged:

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @melclarity
    @nikkid
    @Karen_C
     Can you ladies answer this ? 
  • Karen_C
    Karen_C Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi, can only share my experience with St. Vincents, East Melbourne Victoria.   They are great because they are non-for-profit however over the years have found my own way in knowing how to work their system.   You need to make sure you book your scans in on the same day you have treatment.   You do not have any gaps that way as you are deemed an "In Patient".    When you are in hospital make sure you see the Social Worker and/or Breast Cancer Nurse to find out what support is available to you in your recovery.   This is not always conveyed by the Oncologist.   Now that I have Advanced Cancer, I have very little out of pockets but this has occurred due to long time in treatment and my medical team are aware of my financial situation and its at the doctor's discretion if they waiver any out of pocket costs.   You need to ask.   Sorry I can't recommend Oncologist or Plastic Surgeon.   All the best.
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Hi, I too went through St Vs in Melbourne - they were great :)
  • Eastmum
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you @nikkid and @Karen_C - would love to hear from anyone who's been through St Vincent's Sydney :)
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Sorry @soldiercrab I went through Freemasons in Melbourne :) x
  • cecily
    cecily Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi Eastmum. I’ve been treated at St Vincent’s sydney for the past 3 years. The most recent surgery was mastectomy and reconstruction in August 2017. Happy to answer any questions! 
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Thank you so much @cecily - would you be willing to share who your surgeons are? 
  • cecily
    cecily Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Of course. I will send you a personal message. You can find the personal messages in the inbox at the top of the page. 
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Thank you so much! 
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Hi @Eastmum. I had my surgery at The Mater on North Sydney, which is part of the larger St V's family,  a couple of years ago. I had the rest of my treatment in Canberra.  I felt very well cared for there. They had good staffing levels. Their Breast Care Nurses are amazing, particularly compared to the lack of local support.
    Hope everything goes well for you 
    Take care
    Lyn
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Thank you :)