Pillow Talk

Options
June1952
June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
edited January 2018 in Day to day
Having had my trusty Denton's Low Profile pillow for 7 years it is beginning to suffer the results of hot flushes etc and I am in a bad place with sleeping.  I have had the same pillow since they came on the market about 18 (?) years ago and have had no complaints.
Went to buy a new one but find they have changed the design of that particular pillow.
I am mostly a side sleeper but know I do go to my tummy occasionally to relieve my arthritic hips and knees.
Can anyone advise the pillow they find comfortable ?
Thanks in advance.
Summer   :)

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I bought a rubber low profile pillow from a mattress store. But I cannot remember the brand. I think it is classed as a medium but being rubber it flattens diwn. Failing tbat I also have a feather Target low profile pillow (the cheap ones) which is ny second best. 

Something like this.

https://www.tontine.com.au/pillows/pillow-fills/latex-pillows.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-ebSBRC8ARIsAGuxJIqSkXzVJe_suRLIRz3LzxVFBOIdqXeuaC9zcPI2-ifavqWpDAoNr9saArCHEALw_wcB
  • Mrs_H
    Mrs_H Member Posts: 102
    Options
    @Summerhill38 That’s the one I have. Love it. I got mine from Pillow Talk. They aren’t cheap though which is frustrating. I also have a protector on it which has helped this set of pillows immensely. It’s been a while  :o since I bought one but when the hubby did last year, he managed to get a cheap one from the same line that he loves. He sleeps similar to you, mostly side but also tummy from time to time. Good luck with the search. It took me ages to find a good one before the Denton. Jen xx.
  • June1952
    Options
    Hi @primek
    Thank you.  I have tried feathers but they hug the face too much for me.  The Denton's has not flattened too much, I guess, for 7 years use.
    Hi @Mrs_H
    If you can find an original Low Profile grab it !  I always use a protector as well and that is probably why my pillows last so long.  I will contact Denton's and see what they recommend.  I do like the shoulder recess and the wavy bit to allow air flow.  Shame things have to change after so long.
    I will keep you informed.
  • June1952
    Options
    Hi @SoldierCrab
    Thank you - and what a great price !  Unfortunately it looks like Denton's have changed the style in that it no longer has the shoulder recess which I have always found so comfortable.
    I will contact them tomorrow.
    I am so surprised at the price of 'good' pillows - I have always paid up to $80 for the Denton's ones but as they last up to 10 years that is pretty good value.  The fella at Myer said some of the pillows are now over $250 !!!
    Will keep in touch.
    Summer  :)
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Pillows are the band of my existence. I've got four on the bed, all different. I sleep on my belly when I'm stressed, on my back when I'm exhausted (hence the snoring, apparently) and on my side when I'm having a night that is as close to normal as I seem to be able to manage these days.
    So, I fight the bloody things all night trying to get comfortable. I sweat so much some nights that even with a protective cover--and I will NOT consider plastic--I saturate them to the extent I have to chuck them out. Most don't wash well unless you have two identical ones so you can balance the spin cycle on your washing machine. Last time I tried to spin just one, the machine went off its dial, sounded like an elephant trying to get out of a shipping container, and wobbled ones of its feet off.
    PS, never buy a wool pillow, I paid $60 for one thinking that it may live up to its 'cool in summer, warm in winter' marketing. No.  By the time I'd had a good sweat on it, the bedroom smelled like a shearing shed. The pillow stunk of sheep. Horrible.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I bought latex pillows from the manufacturer of our bed AH Beard in Adelaide and have been very happy. Just a thought I have bought a lot of Manchester from an online store in Melbourne called Planet Linen and have found their products good quality and great prices.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    Options
    @Summerhill38, I too have terrible problems with my hips and knees. All my joints actually, due to a preexisting autoimmune condition which attacks all the  connective tissue in my body. Chemo and Femara haven't helped one little bit. Just to add to the mix, I now also have  adhesive capsilitis (frozen shoulder)  on the right side. Excruciatingly painful if the shoulder moves one centimetre out of semi comfortable alignment. I have roped my bagel shaped pillow from my breast  nurse (for the Big Chop) and have found that placing it between my knees when sleeping on my side has been most helpful. Initially started doing this to make my upper facing thigh, level with my arm on the right side to stop slippage at night. I've found that the added bonus is a decrease in hip and knee pain as the  upper thigh  is not twisting my torso sideways as the upper knee goes downwards to rest on the bed. Might be worth a try. When it gets a bit manky, i just squeeze it under running water with a bit of shampoo. As it is small and filled with polyfiller (used in kids' toys), it washes and dries very quickly and easily.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I have a terrific pillow I bought at least seven years ago after a brief neck problem. Keeps its shape, easy to look after, great support. Your posts have made me go and look what brand it is and yes, it's a Dentons! Perhaps I'd better buy a new one before they change too much! 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Sleeping on the tummy is a tut tut as it puts pressure on the spine!  I was advised against this from the Neurologist.  I damaged my spine from this form of sleeping and suffered a prolapse in the neck!  So please think about why you are sleeping in that position!

As to pillow we use the Killarney Linen from Harris Scarfe
  • June1952
    Options
    Hello ladies
    Thank you all for your support on this subject.  I have spoken with Denton's who have advised the MediRest pillow so I will give that a go now.
    @Zoffiel - I can imagine you cuddled up to a sheep now !
    @Romla - Being in regional Victoria I've not heard of those stores so will research their whereabouts.
    @Afraser - Great minds think alike !!!  Denton's say they have not changed at all.
    @AllyJay - When my arthritis is bad I use a body pillow for the same purpose and that is great as it also gives me relief from the lymphoedema as it reaches all the way along.  For my shoulder/arm I sometimes get relief by sleeping at the far side of the bed with my shoulder over the edge and arm hanging out.
    @iserbrown - My tummy is only for a few minutes and not every night.
    Thanks again
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @Summerhill38 just noticed Harris Scarfe having a sale on Dentons
  • June1952
    Options
    Hi @Romla
    Yes, thank you.  I went down there but they don't keep them in store (I am in regional Vic) but Myer also had them on sale which is great news - saved $40.
    Hopefully I will sleep better tonight - wish me luck as I have run out of sheep to count !
    The new pillow is firmer and higher than the other so the hot flushes have deteriorated the pillow but I reckon 7 years is pretty good.
    Thanks again everyone for your help.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    My pillow is a dunlopillow...latex. when I said it flattened I mean it wasn't hard when your head on it. It springs right back. 
  • June1952
    Options
    Hello ladies
    I used the new Denton's Medi Rest pillow last night and slept well.  I am hoping this was the cause of my bad sleep.
    Thanks @primek, I did try a Dunlopillow (cost was enormous, well over $100 with 40% off) and found it far too hard with no give at all.  Had cooling gel but that was not at all cool !  Gotta laugh.