Is that right? Did you really say that?

Comments

• MKitty68
    MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
    edited February 2018
    @Joannie it wasn't putting me on display or anything as such... more the thought that you just 'get over' cancer - like you do a cold or the flu... and i was very clearly not even close to 'getting over' my treatments
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cyclo
    Cyclo Member Posts: 56
    @joannie yes I’m into fitness cycling also lead a busy life working and used to do a lot of extra at work, commiitttees mentoring etc to advance my career plus family etc I’ve had to reduce what I do to manage treatment etc but one year on feeling a bit bored and ready to do a bit more. I’ve cycled for 25 years, I’m sure it kept me sane  during this last year even when I could barely cycle due to the effects of  rad treatment 
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    My neighbour... how are you going?
    Me... not too bad, getting there slowly
    Neighbour... they er, um, did sort you out. Fix you up, right?

Same neighbour... so many people are getting bc now it's like a flu pandemic.

She means well.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    OH @Molly001 you must be an angel,
     I would of slapped the stupid out her by now.....
    one thing BC has done is lower my level of patience with stupidity.....

• Lozang
    Lozang Member Posts: 16
    Recent follow-up check, these words came from the registrar/doctor: "you know that you will certainly get a return of breast cancer in your lifetime"....to which I replied, "I could also get hit by a bus tomorrow".  
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    @Lozang I know there's no point sugar coating a diagnosis, but OMG, that is purely an opinion, and not a helpful one. Love your response! Lol!
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    @Lozang The words "in your lifetime" seem a bit superfluous. Like, as opposed to "after your lifetime"?! Silly person. My hairdresser the other day, "Could be worse." Then she admitted, "I never know what to say to people going through a rough time." Clearly.
  • Lozang
    Lozang Member Posts: 16
    @Flaneuse and @Molly001: Yes, I thought it was pretty 'naive'.  In the public system, they are very thorough with their follow-up checks, but you see a different doctor (registrar i.e. training doctor) each time.  I saw my actual breast surgeon once at the beginning of the whole treatment planning bit  (November 2015) and then I saw him next, just last week at my insistence, as the above registrar's opening statement to me at what I thought was just a follow-up was: "Has anyone spoken to you about a mastectomy?" He has a lot to learn and hopefully I helped his education. The breast surgeon took my dismay on board, and was very kind and helpful.  I wonder how yr hairdresser thought it could it "be worse"???? It is hard for others I think;  comments range from: [no comment...I'll just change the subject/run away now].....to "oh, it's all for a reason"...."oh yes, my sister had that and she's fine!"......erk.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    I hope this discussion keeps going. I check out whether there are any new gems every time I come on line.