Is that right? Did you really say that?

JoannieJoannie Member Posts: 581
edited February 3 in Day to day
Some weird things people actually say to people that are diagnosed with cancer.

"Don't worry, you have the best cancer there is to get"
"Cancer is a gift"
"Cut out the sugar"
"I know someone who had the same cancer, she died, but I know you will be OK"
"I wouldn't do chemo if I were you"

Anyone else have any comments they have heard, or heard of?  I actually have a laugh when I reflect on some of the ridiculous sentiments cancer patients can be subjected to.

Comments

• LucyELucyE Member Posts: 295
    edited January 13
    All of them! Also:

“I thought my life was bad, but look at your situation!”

”My prognosis is not as bad as yours.”
    The comments about knowing people who had died were common. The chemo one cropped up a lot. 

A nurse who on my first day of chemo told me that because I had to reschedule due to cold caps “We are very busy and you are holding us up from getting home.”

Mostly people mean well. I’ve learned to tune out. These days people don’t even ask how I’m doing. I prefer that. 

• MiraMira I live in my computer .... Member Posts: 370
    "I can tell whoever I want" (when they know you are trying to keep it private)
  • JoannieJoannie Member Posts: 581
    Me: I have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
    Person: Sorry to hear that!  You just don't know what is around the corner, we may not be here next year. I am now going to plan that holiday I was thinking of having next year, I will plan it for this year now.  I may not be here next year.

• SisterSister Adelaide Hills, SAMember Posts: 1,258
    Best one I've had so far was the nurse in the holding area before I was wheeled into theatre telling me that one of her colleagues had BC and recently died.
    @Sister... I hope you consoled the nurse (joking)   :D :D
  • SisterSister Adelaide Hills, SAMember Posts: 1,258
    I should say that every other staff member at the hospital was great and very sensitive.  (I had the same nurse before theatre the second time round and this time she didn't say anything.)  I have to say that my disbelief in what I was hearing distracted me from the panic I was feeling at the time. :D
    @Sister I also think the distraction is ok, as we have to really focus on what is coming out of their mouth, and processing that information in a way as to not take it personally. Broadens our shoulders somewhat. 
  • LucyELucyE Member Posts: 295
    A friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and one of his colleagues told him he eats like a crab. :(
  • Summerhill38Summerhill38 VictoriaMember Posts: 707
    I just love when the nurse in theatre says to you "Hi, how are you today ?"   Well, "fucking great" I feel like answering as they are about to chop my boob off - but no, I said ""well, I am here - what do you think ? .....!".