Anyone in to kayaking?

Options
13»

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Why must there always be a consequence to whatever I do? I have a fat lymphedema arm today. I hope the compression sleeve works its magic. At least its not in my hand so I don't need the glove as well. <sigh>
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    Options
    You're lucky if you can wear just the sleeve - I find that wearing the sleeve alone actually causes a bit of puffiness on the hand. I don't mind the sleeve at all but the hand is a magnet for anything that marks  - biros, newsprint, flower pollen, just managed to avoid raspberry juice while pinching them out of the garden (delicious). 
  • Brenda5
    Options
    I took the yak up to Teds creek crabbing and fishing yesterday. My aeroguard started petering out by late afternoon but fortunately I got no bites to my lymphedema arm. I got 6 mud crabs all too small to bring home but I did play around picking them up to get over my fear of all their legs and nippers. They were quiet and well behaved this time as the weather was cooler after all the rain we had. I caught no fish but did surprise a barra in the narrow creek but he wouldn't take my lure. Mangrove trees scored two new lure decorations.
    I put my compression sleeve on as soon as I got home and again this morning and so far I might have gotten away with my exercise escapades. I see my physiotherapist this week so we will have to have a little discussion on kayaking as I love it and don't want to have to give it up.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Looks like great fun and that you enjoyed yourself - am sure there are ways around any treatment conflicts kayaking might cause.Enjoy!
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    Options
    What a lovely way to spend time! I hope your arm continues to behave as that time  really is something to savour. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Good on ya @Brenda5 Fingers crossed for no lymphoedema.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,574
    Options
    Well done @Brenda5 - especially on getting the muddies, getting them out & not being bitten!   I hope all works out well - without getting the lymphoedema! 
  • Brenda5
    Options
    I  saw my lymphoedema physiotherapist yesterday and yay, I don't have to give up kayakking. I do have to drop anchor and have a spell from paddling more often and if the swelling is up the kayak stays home but other than that I am good to go. It is full moon time and last night I fished from the beach and caught a couple of whiting and catfish. I ended up with palpitations though which I am putting down to me taking Nurofen after this tooth extraction. I am truly drug sensitive nowadays so I am back to just plain Panadol. Am I game enough to take the kayak out at night tonight or tomorrow night? It is quiet with no boats and absolutely glorious looking on the water. In day time I can't tolerate sun and have to be decked out top to toe in clothing but at night I wouldn't need all that clobber. The only thing I am worried about is pesky sharks. If there a guardian angel against sharks? That'd  be good. 

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,574
    Options
    Well done on your fish, Brenda.  Just be careful yakking at night .... you don’t have your normal ‘visuals’ ie landmarks that you can see during the day.  If you DO go out, make sure you have an ‘all round’ whit light that is taller than your head .... that way, boats coming from any direction will be able to see you.
    Also, be careful of anchoring up at night too, as the rising tide may swamp the kayak.

Personally, I would NEVER go out at night on my own - only with someone else - and make sure you have waterproof phone or similar for communication in case you get into trouble.

Having said lol that ...... take care and have fun