Mountain Lions

SisterSister Adelaide Hills, SAMember Posts: 108
You're all probably going to get sick of me over the next couple of days, stuck in hospital...
I've been trying to paste a copy of Caitlin Feeley's Mountain Lion analogy but all I have is my phone and it's defeating me! I'm sure some of you old hands have read it, but as a newbie, it really struck home to me.  So, if you haven't seen it, do a google search. Try to find the full piece though as a number of people have just put excerpts on their sites.

Comments

• SoldierCrabSoldierCrab Bathurst NSW Member Posts: 1,372
    @Sister
    I searched it for you and posted it above to make it easy for those not good with computers. 
  • SisterSister Adelaide Hills, SAMember Posts: 108
    Thanks, @SoldierCrab. I gave up after trying to copy and paste it about 10 times using my phone!
  • primekprimek Broken HillMember Posts: 3,540
    Oh that is such an apt description of why we endure chemo to fight the darn mountain lion. Love it. Thankyou for sharing. X
  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 1,113
    It's a good and sometimes funny analogy - the only thing that I don't get is a reference to people " whose job it is to look after you". For adults (different story for children) that's yourself. So many people going through cancer have learned that critical bit of understanding - you (not someone else) are responsible for your decisions. You know best what treatment and side effects you are willing to go through for a possible cure  - not your loved ones, not your children, not your spouse or even parents. No matter how much they may care for and need you. You are responsible for your own well being, and if that means sidelining people who cause you grief, even in your own family or former best friend, well off you go. If we are lucky, we have benefitted enormously from the love and support of others. It's a wonderful thing. But it's particularly wonderful because it is freely given, not an obligation or a duty. 
  • Milly21Milly21 Member Posts: 27
    Minding your own business and one day opening fridge to a mountain lion ,that is pretty much a great description of how I felt when diagnosed,lol
  • SisterSister Adelaide Hills, SAMember Posts: 108
    @Afraser I took it as those who feel they want to be able to look after you.  Mind you, if my mum was still around she'd be giving the mountain lion what for - unfortunately, not possible with cancer
  • HarleyBHarleyB Member Posts: 87
    <<“I read that mountain lions are allergic to kale, have you tried rubbing kale on it?”>>

This made my day!
    The incredible variety of things I have been told to ingest, inhale, insert or lather over my bits has always amazed me - and I know that most people mean well etc etc but until now no one has told me about KALE!!!
    Might just need to see what Dr Google has to say about it! ;-)
  • onemargieonemargie queenslandMember Posts: 608
    That’s very cool I love the comment about the kale OMFG!  This is a snippet of one I sent to someone and how I feel about it 

So I’m giving you a big virtual hug and I’m standing at the top of the shit covered mountain that you are slowly crawling to the top of with champagne in one hand vodka in the other and when you’re  finished everything you can run up there in the nude and show me your magnificent new boobies and show me the biggest set of Hairy balls that you have had to grow to get through all this shit and be proud that you have fucking punched  your breast cancer in the fucking face and sent it screaming down the shit covered mountain you’ve just climbed and let it lie there to die in its own filth where it belongs. 

Margie xx 
  • Brenda5Brenda5 Burrum Heads, QldMember Posts: 1,682
    edited January 10
    I think my mountain lion is now dead, and the bear, and my husband has finally stopped griping about his nose lol.
    Oh PS, I just unfriended a friend on a crusade to get me to rub kale on it, meditation, cleanser drinks, seminars. He just wouldn't leave me in peace.

• kezmusckezmusc Member Posts: 94
    Ha ha ha love the kale bit.  @onemargie you ar soooo funny!  
  • ZoffielZoffiel Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 1,027

I was walking up near Beechworth this morning and came face to face with a very large goanna. Dinosaur type massive. I've looked at it, it's looked at me and I've thought,  "Oh, shit, not you again.'

I have no idea what it was thinking, reptiles are like that. But it flicked it's tongue, tasted the air and sauntered off into the scrub. It will be a while before I walk back down that track. I'm not going looking for a Yowie to get it off me.

• JanineGJanineG Melbourne (west)Member Posts: 101
    Wow! That's the best thing I've read about 'this journey',(pet hate stupid saying), in the last two years. Thankyou @sister,@soldiercrab. It actually made me cry. But I love it ,think it's quite beautiful. Janine xo
  • MollygirlMollygirl Brisbane Member Posts: 98
    Far out @onemargie you kill me  :D. Gold pure gold! 

@Sister so glad you thought to bring this to everyone. I read it a couple of weeks ago and thought... Yep, that's it alright!