Disappointed in The Beacon's name change

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited January 2018
    I have also been following this discussion with interest. I have been an active member of the on-line network since soon after my diagnosis almost 5 years ago. I have not commented before because I feel most of what I think has been said very well by others on this post.

To be honest the Pink Lady logo has always embarrassed me when advocating for the terrific work that BCNA does in support of people (not just women) diagnosed with breast cancer. I really feel it is outdated. It just does not symbolise the reality of the broad range of people who are diagnosed with this disease. I do not see myself as a Pink Lady. It is not a symbol I can identify with. Surely we can do better.

I too was part of The State of the Nation talks and certainly do not remember this topic being raised for feedback. I feel that strengthening the association of BCNA with the Pink Lady symbol is a backwards step. 

I think that @nikkid has said it all. I could not agree more.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I guess I can tolerate pink as I think of Pink the singer but lady ? Reminds me of a rather quaint English magazine The Lady which is also anachronistic .
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @nikkid
    I have pondered your comment regarding "love your sister" they get this generation.... they are in sync with them.... They utilise all the emerging technologies to stay connected with "their village..... "
    As More and More young women are being diagnosed daily and along with that more men as we raise awareness.... Surely there is a way to incorporate all that are supported by BCNA ? 
    Twenty years ago it was older women who were being diagnosed with BC rarely young women....  We need to be up with the times..... 
    @AllyJay
    We are a diverse group who get Breast Cancer not just "little old ladies in pearls and twin sets" dressed in pink.
     But strong men and women with families and friends fighting to kill the BITCH called BC. 

• Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    Just for the record....
    I don't agree with the name change to Pink Lady. Beacon is fine.
    I don't identify as a "lady". I am woman...etc.
    I don't like the dress silhouette. Change it to a more androgynous outline. Pink is still ok though, the blokes are reclaiming it, and other colours and rainbows all come with their predefined baggage.
    First and foremost we are people with breast cancer looking for support, help, advice and inclusion. No one should feel left out of that.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited January 2018
    Updating the logo to something more modern and relevant can (as I think @Zoffiel has already said) bring about fantastic publicity opportunities. The McGrath Foundation did this with great success last year!

Strengthen the connection and relevance of BCNA to those of us (and our families and loved ones) living with the affects of this disease and we in turn will strengthen BCNA through personal advocacy and fundraising efforts. It is hard when a logo actually feels so old fashioned and does nothing to represent your own experience. There is nothing lady-like about breast cancer. It takes an incredible effort to endure treatment and find a way to live well after a diagnosis. BCNA to me is about helping each other to find that strength. A Pink Lady does not represent this.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    Well, now that I have my engine warmed up, I might just have another bite of the (Pink Lady) apple. What a wasted educational opportunity to both men and women, but especially men. I'll bet if you stopped a hundred men, randomly, and asked them what to look out for, for themselves in regards to cancer, you'd get something like this. "Ummm, if I start coughing blood, shitting blood, or pissing blood, get it checked. When I'm in the shower, check my nuts...if they become swollen, painful or have any lumps, get them checked. Oh..and um, if I get any changes in colour of shape of any, whaddya call them, oh yeah...moles...get them checked. Ummm, that's about it". As one of our brother members pointed out, because of practically zero awareness of breast cancer in men, they are typically diagnosed later, with subsequent poorer  futures. (I'm stuffed if I'll say "Outcomes"...hate that mealymouthed corporate claptrap). If you did the Pub Test and went into said pub and asked the male punters if men could get breast cancer, they'd think you were having them on. If a woman goes to her doctor and mentions any breast changes, claxons start blaring, red lights flash, and she is very quickly and comprehensively followed up. How many men have, and in the future will go to their doctors and maybe, perhaps, perchance, if they don't feel sooooo embarrassed to mention it, bring up a worrying change in a breast, and are told that it's probably just an infected hair follicle, or a cyst or somesuch...nothing to worry about mate. If it gets any worse over the next six months, come back" Ring - a - ding - ding...probably a bit too little and a bit too late by then. Here is this opportunity to portray, in whatever fashion is decided upon, to depict both men and women together. Have collective eyebrows hit their hairlines and people  go WTF....breast cancer ...in blokes??? are you serious??? I never knew that,,,,tell me more. Such a shame.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @AllyJay your bloody awesome! I knew once your engine warmed up there would be more input.  Thank you I hear you. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370

One of the less spoken roles of BCNA is a big one - to raise funds for research. Every person who gets bc benefits from that research. Some other cancers have had far fewer developments and improvements, possibly because they are more intractable, but also perhaps because there is less money for research. However BCNA's own charter says:

BCNA is respectful and responsive to individual differences and the needs and concerns of our members, staff, volunteers and partners. Caring, trusting relationships are fundamental to how we work.

I hadn't necessarily felt that the name of the newsletter was necessarily a key factor in funds raising but, as others may feel differently, the views of those actively involved in this network might attract a more "meet you half way" response.  

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253

A really great discussion on branding is happening here with good points being made in post after post. I even get Afraser's point about a "meet you half way" response. But, there has to be a starting point since, as Deanne says, she can't remember the logo even being on the table for discussion, let alone the renaming of Beacon. Are these topics inviolate? If so, why?

SoldierCrab 
    that's a great go at the logo. Two contemporary figures give an amazingly different spin to BCNA. However, I'd suggest finding a smaller role for the guys (we're just one percent after all) but having a logo that is not so exclusively female. Romla brings up the prostate cancer people owning the blue for their campaigns. Personally, since I have both prostate cancer and breast cancer, SC's logo would work for my cohort if it had a blue man with some pink  :D

The bottom line here is, as AllyJay points out, awareness that men get this disease is so abysmally low that you'd want to do all you can to change this. I mean, with men, we're back where we were with women 30 years ago. Who doesn't know know that women get BC? Zero percent. Who doesn't know know that men get BC? Around 70 percent!
  • Chester80$
    Chester80$ Member, Dragonfly Posts: 13
    I’m heartened by the amazing commentary and support from the online community on this topic...something is happening out there and the drums are beating loud and hard and it’s not just a couple of old men banging on this time.
    So many genuine attempts to pull BCNA into the 21st century in terms of an image and logo that is more inclusive and highlights the fact that men can get breast cancer, but at the same time recognises we are the “1 percenters”. We are however part of the story and although corporate re brandings cost money and have risks associated with it, I can only look at McGrath Foundation with great admiration as they have an image and logo that works so well.
    As one of the couple of men along with @traveltext who have been advocating for many years now for change it seems our experience with BCNA is two steps forward, and then another back. Don’t get me wrong, we are very thankful for the work they have done in raising Male Breast Cancer awareness but we have never had any success in addressing the elephants in the room..the pink lady and the lack of blue. BCNA please find something that works universally.
    As one of the online forum mentioned it’s time BCNA put on its listening ears as this topic is the hottest by far. 
    I would be really interested to see where in “State of the nation” order of things this topic sits because for me and many in this forum it appears there is somewhat of a corporate identity mismatch that needs addressing for everyone to move forward.
    As an aside I will be registering a protest vote as I politely unsubscribe from future editions of the pink lady publication...how disappointing 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

24 hours since Christine responded, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those offices. If only because I find frantic activity fascinating. Yeah, it's a character fault.

I do feel for them; it's pretty disturbing to think you are on a winner to find all the things you were excited about are not well received. I know this because I've been there. I can well imagine what it was like to come back from a break to find the white ants have moved in. But in we are.

I'm holding my ground at the moment: I want to see the decision to change the name of the Beacon rescinded. For now.

As @afraser has so wisely commented, middle ground needs to be found. Stopping the rot at this stage is a great plan. Using the feedback from this thread to consider what needs to be done about gender inclusion in the future works for me too.

I know how hard it is to rebrand. It's not just a matter of changing colours or chopping the skirt off an image. Something that needs to be considered is the value of good will and public recognition. I perfectly understand why BCNA wants to hang on to something that really works for them and, by definition, for us. Believe me, having been involved with a number of feminist organisations over the years, the philosophy of mutual accord is just that, a philosophy. Someone is always unhappy.

But, and it's a big but, if community opinion demands change, change should happen. Let's get rid of the name change and review the constant reference to 'women with breast cancer' It's an easy fix.

I'm no lady and look like a footballer in drag if I wear pink but I have no real problem with the logo. For now. I really urge you all to think about what has sparked this thread and focus on doing something that should be relatively simple and not too bruising to the egos and bottom line of the people responsible for the decision. No Pink Lady magazine. Thanks.

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @Zoffiel. I'm in agreement but I have to segue to the irreverent...footballer in drag when wearing pink - that needs a photo (maybe that's the logo they're looking for) .  Anyhoo, back to the serious, I believe they do need to back off from changing the Beacon name in the first instance.  Then, taking on board what has been raised in this discussion as well as the analysis from the marketing team (I assume there's been some real analysis), work out a way forward that looks to the future.  Logos are great but do need updating every now and then to remain relevant. Dated logos only work when they're so old that they become reminiscent of a "golden" past. I would think that the image BCNA wants to project would be inclusive, non-ageist, and forward-thinking.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I think relevance to our catchment group may encourage longevity for the organisation , fundraising and awareness all of which might provide focus for ongoing research to eradicate this awful disease. Whilst cancer is a great leveller it must be discouraging to younger ones and blokes to subscribe to “Pink Lady” let alone some of us older women . It takes a strong organisation and management team to gracefully accept they may have gotten it wrong and open the door for debate from rank and file members.What about it BCNA - are you up for the challenge to truly represent our views ?
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Great reading and  totally agree 
    But
    From a corporate planning perspective to change (the pink lady) now probably is the major reason
    This year is the 20TH ANNIVERSARY in augustso the planning logo advertising probablydone anddusted ....

However this would also be the best time to launch a new logo to take BCNA foreward......