Disappointed in The Beacon's name change

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Waiting for BCNA to explain the reason behind the change and who was consulted !
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Lol @Zoffiel you are fuckng hilarious as always. What about “sunrise” coming out of the darkness makes sense too for a name or horizons could be another one?  Why are they needing to change it?.. anyway Can you imagine if you and I were in charge of the beacon name change!, between my “titty mag” suggestion  and your pink bits we would have heads turning for sure:):):)!!  
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    Agree, the real question is 

onemargie said:

Why are they needing to change it?.. 

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

I'm sure there are some very solid marketing strategies behind this: the pink lady logo is instantly recognizable and BCNA has to compete for scarce funds and donations. That makes perfect sense and we all reap the benefit of those strategies.

I guess I don't see the Beacon as the frontline when it comes to fundraising. Yes, it serves a purpose of informing stakeholders and showing what the organisation is doing but, for me, it is a community newsletter and shouldn't do anything to exclude members who already feel they are under represented.  As you say, @Afraser we are not in charge.

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Just thought I would add my 50 cents worth, I agree that a consultation process would have/should have been in order,
    perhaps we will get some feedback from bcna soon as to why this is happening.

wendy55 

• If I was one of the men who has breast cancer and received a newsletter in the post/ online that was called Pink Lady, I’m pretty sure I’d be unsubscribing. The whole bright pink colour for me has always been an issue. I do understand the importance of it for advertising etc. Perhaps it’s time to set up a support group that’s less female focused and has men’s needs at the heart of if. They could call their newsletter ‘Blue Man’ (or a more appropriate title because gender stereotyping is outdated). 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018
    Beautifully put @traveltext; you have raised some really pertinent issues here. Rebranding  would be wonderful.

Here’s hoping these comments will contribute to establishing a more inclusive organisation. Perhaps more consultation with men, such as yourself, will help initiate the changes needed.

The Cancer Council have a lovely gender neutral yellow. There are quite a few other colours to choose from. I look forward to a change in the title of the newsletter.
  • iserbrown
    @traveltext

Thank you for posting the letter that you have sent to BCNA.  I gather there was some consultation way back that we the users of the forum are oblivious too!  Tardy in reply is not a good thing or are they taking it as comment only? What happened to a polite acknowledgment and you comments will be passed along to the board for discussion?  Manners in correspondence!

Zoffiel said:

I guess I don't see the Beacon as the frontline when it comes to fundraising. Yes, it serves a purpose of informing stakeholders and showing what the organisation is doing but, for me, it is a community newsletter and shouldn't do anything to exclude members who already feel they are under represented.  

It sounds like a board room decision and the staff are to implement and overlooked the stakeholders called the Forum!  Maybe I am wrong.................anyhow, the relevance of the bright pink lady as the main logo across everything is lost on both genders.................Does their strategic plan include the forum as a stakeholder I wonder?
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Zoffiel, I don't recall any public consultation on the Beacon name change. Chester80$$ just noticed the reference to this in the last Beacon. That's when we took up the issue with BCNA management. I'm really heartened by the comments here and thought this might have just been blokes complaining.

• iserbrown
    I went looking for a strategic plan on BCNA website and found this - gives us an understanding of the overview of the direction of the organisation.  

https://www.bcna.org.au/media/4531/bcna-2017-business-plan.pdf

We all certainly appreciate and benefit from the work of BCNA.