Radiotherapy or masectomy
Hi, this is my first time online and hoping for some advice as to where to go next. I am a 56 year old female who was diagnosed with Her2 postive invasive breast cancer in July. Chemo was recommended straight away followed by surgery. Currently also on Herceptin for 12 months. Chemo was horrendous and if there was a side effect to have I ticked them all with several hospital visits. The good news was it was very effective and it destroyed all the invasive cells. Therefore instead of a mastectomy I only needed to have a wide local incision in 2 areas followed by radiation. Had surgery 3 weeks ago but results came back with DCIS high grade cells in the margins. Went back for further surgery last week and came back they found more DCIS and all removed but margins only clear by 1mm (2mm is the australian accepatbale margin). Surgeon is recommending that I still now follow up with radiation but due to small margin they are leaving the decision up to me if I have a mastectomy or radiation. I am not sure what to do, both are right decisions but what is best for me? Any advice from others who may have been in similar positions would be gladly appreciated.
Hey! You will be signed out in 60 seconds due to inactivity. Click here to continue using the site.