Clipped my wings

Jax1964
Jax1964 Member Posts: 76
What a whirlwind!
Mammogram on Monday. Biopsy Friday and surgery next Tuesday.

This is me https://www.shewentwild.com/blogposts/2017/12/1/life-and-adventure-on-a-postie-bike
Nothing like cancer to interrupt one's plans.
I've survived an aneurysm so I'm well acquainted with the medical system. I can deal with the emotional meltdown later but right now I need to deal with some practicalities. 
I am currently living in a motorhome and Sydney is not the friendliest place to park. I have a pet-sitting job for xmas and new year so I'll be able to chill out with Netflix for 10 days. My question is: after a lumpectomy how soon can you drive or cook or function? Will I be okay to go back to my home on wheels after the New Year?
What sort of bra does one wear immediately after the op? I won't even have time to order one online so is there a shop I can visit in Syd?
And finally - how soon after surgery do they begin radiation? The doc said "when the wound heals" but can I ask them to put it off for 6 weeks so I can deliver a presentation in Feb? [I promise I'll be a good girl after that]

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Firstly welcome.
    I didn't  have a lumpectomy but from what I understand most people discharged the next day. You may have a drain depending on nodes taken for sentinal node biopsy. Sometimes they need to take more if they look suspicious. 
    I believe most people are driving within 3 weeks. You'll have to ask the radiologist but I believe radiotherapy is 3 to 6 weeks after lumpectomy...unless you need chemo...and they won't know that until your pathology is back after surgery. So normally 10 days.

Bras....you can buy a post op front clip bra from Target for around $20. Or you could wear an aah bra...just step into it not over your head as your arm movement is limited after the sentinal node biopsy. Myer sells berlei post op bras in the store. 
    Ask tbe hospital where referred if they have a breast care nurse attached to the unit and get in touch for support.

Also have your ordered your my care kit yet? 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/my-care-kit/

Also please order you My journey kit. It comes very quickly.
    https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/my-journey-kit/

A lot of the info included is available to read online also.

Kath x
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Hi@Jax1964 I was 2 days in hospital then home with no heavy lifting for a week or so and a special cushion between my arm and surgery to make sleeping easy as I sleep on my side - given to me by bc nurse. She also provided a free Berlei post op bra.Tbh I had bought 2 post op bras from Target but never really comfortable.Recently a friend told me about Aah bras and I bought 3 on eBay for $15 and haven’t been this comfy since surgery in March - there are variants available Big W , Best and Less etc . I started radiation 4 weeks after surgery finished - be aware if lumpectomy does not have clear margins a reexcision is possible as was my case. Also you will have probably a sentinel node biopsy at time of lumpectomy to determine if it has spread and further surgery is required.Being flexible with your schedule may be wise. I know my last comments may spook you a little but remember you are having a lumpectomy because early breast cancer is their belief.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Jax1964.
    I spent two nights in hospital. Lumpectomy and level 2 lymph node disection.  Drains out at the end of the week.  Was driving straight after the drains came out no problem.  Back the next week for re excision for clearer margins, home the same day.  I had no problem cooking, shopping or doing most things around the house,  it was a bit awkward but manageable. I didn't bother with a bra for the first few days as it was too akward, swollen and painful with the stupid drain in there to get it on.  After that the little crops from best and less are awesome.  
    All the best.  
  • Jax1964
    Jax1964 Member Posts: 76
    Thanks ladies. I have ordered the my journey kit but I didn't know about the my care kit. I'll ask the doc tomorrow in pre-op.
    I'm going to go op shopping in the morning to get some front buttoning shirts as everything I own is a t-shirt. I think I'll go Hawaiian

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I just wore great big Tshirts and bike pants. As then you don't need your arm straight up. I had a bilateral mastectomy and managed.