Comments

• Lisa Janelle
    Lisa Janelle Member Posts: 45
    Options
    I have silicone implants and have been diagnosed with DCIS 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    It all depends on the surgeon. With dcis sometimes just removal of the affected area is all you need. If it is extensive they may need to offer a mastectomy. If this is the case discussion can occur around a bigger implant being put in to match your other breast. It doesn't mean you have to lose your implants. But you will know more after your first appointment with a breast surgeon. Kath x
  • Lisa Janelle
    Options
    Thank you Kath I just had a lift and implants last year. Just got the news yesterday yes Friday afternoon.  They say preinvasive what does that mean. 
  • primek
    Options
    Still in the ducts...which is classed as stage 0. Fantastic. You don't always have radiotherapy with dcis (and no chemo) but like I said it will depend on lots of things. When is your appointment? 
  • Lisa Janelle
    Options
    Back to breast screen on Tuesday they have referral to hospital they said I would need surgery. I am freaking out 
  • primek
    Options
    Normal to freak out. The waiting is awful. The breast surgeon will explain more. This link might be helpful.

https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/types-of-breast-cancer/ductal-carcinoma-in-situ/
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Hi @Lisa Janelle the surgery would be lumpectomy of the DCIS Id imagine. How did they find out you had DCIS? as you mentioned you had implants last year? Kath is right, DCIS is 0 stage and is classified as pre cancer, I had this at first diagnosis in 2011, 2nd diagnosis was 4yrs later and in between checkups stage 2 grade 3 IDC ER+. Wait until you see your Surgeon, so overwhelming and you won't settle until you know all your results from pathology. Hang in there. Melinda xo
  • Lisa Janelle
    Options
    Hi Melinda I had a biopsy on Wednesday and they called me on Friday and told me 
  • Lisa Janelle
    Options
    I had implants and a lift August 2016 
  • melclarity
    Options
    Oh ok, I wasn't sure how it all came about, it is so hard, biopsies are rarely correct, thats why they follow up with a lumpectomy as only that is definitive. So definitely talk with your Surgeon, the more information you have the more settled you will become. x
  • Lisa Janelle
    Options
    Is a lumpectomy where they remove it. I could see on the mammogram scan all white specs. She had 10 goes at the biopsy just kept pumping that needle into me
  • melclarity
    Options
    Oh that's terrible! I've had alot of biopsies, not fun! I wouldnt do them again only because of my history now, they always need to do a lumpectomy anyway. So yes the lumpectomy removes the DCIS and then they'll do pathology and you'll have a much clearer result. 
  • Lisa Janelle
    Options
    I am just worried as my gp said they will do a mastectomy I know I have to wait to see the surgeon just so worried getting news on a Friday afternoon I go back to breast screen on Tuesday. So I will know more. 
  • melclarity
    Options
    Of course you're worried, this is the hard part, waiting and your mind spirals out of control, so incredibly normal. We all here know what its like, the experiences we all have had, so its a great place to come and chat and get support from those who really understand what you're going through.

One step at a time, is the best you can do, until that appointment and a big breath. x
  • Lisa Janelle
    Options
    Do they usually do a mastectomy when it is contained in a duct. I don’t understand.