My journey

Options
Tasneem
Tasneem Member Posts: 20
Hi all

I had my mastectomy in the first week of September just 3 months ago and I am pleased to inform you all that I am back to normal. I know everyone's journey is different and all cancers are not the same. However, just sharing with you all the things I did for getting back to normal may help some of you.

When I was diagnosed with cancer in late August 2017 the radiologist who examined my mammogram and CT scan as well as all the doctors painted a pretty grim picture. My family was devastated and seeing the reaction of some of my friends I decided not to tell anyone anymore. I remained positive all along. I am 62 and I am grateful that I have lived so far and knowing that death is inevitable no matter how long I live, this cancer never bothered me. I have never lost a nights sleep over this. This attitude helped my family a lot and they started accepting the reality.

My husband & I started researching information on the causes of cancer and with his co-operation I made a number of changes to my diet and lifestyle. I gave up sugar completely, went out in the Sun to get my vitamin D, also took Vitamin D3 with Magnesium. Also every morning I made a juice with carrot, beetroot, celery, ginger, lemon and almonds and drank this. 

After the operation I continued this regime, reduced carbs, took walks to loose weight and followed all the exercises the physio prescribed after the operation. Fortunately, I did not have to go through chemotherapy or radiotherapy. However, as I am estrogen receptor positive I was told to go on harmone therapy. The oncologist gave me all the information on its side effects which included thinning of bones and endometrial cancer. Again after researching on this subject I looked at ways of naturally reducing my estrogen levels and decided not to go on the harmone therapy. On my follow up checkup the oncologist showed me a graph that indicated the benefit of going on the harmone therapy which was minimal - around 5% or less. The graph indicated that 90% of breast cancer patients survived for 10years without any adjuvant treatment and 85% survived for 20years without any adjuvant treatment. Those who took the treatment lived 5% or less longer. To me quality of life mattered more so I am glad I have chosen this path. I have lost 7kgs weight so far and feel really good. 
I hope everyone of you find your own path to a good and fast recovery as i have done.

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    We all have to muddle through with the information and resources that we have. Long walks can never be a bad thing and my diet could certainly improve, though historically I've never had much will power when it comes to consumables.
    I hope things go well for you.
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Tasneem, your attitude is amazing!!! I'm so glad you've found what works for you.  All the very best. Xx
  • Tasneem
    Options
    Thankyou Mollygirl & Zoffiel. I wish you all the very Best. May the New Year bring Good Health, Peace and Happiness for all.
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    Good on you @Tasneem As already said the diet and exercise will benefit you cancer or no.
  • Mezzie
    Mezzie Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Tasneem, glad to read you are doing so well !  I have to date not posted on this forum but have been very grateful to read everyone' s stories, makes me realize how fortunate I have been with my own cancer to date and also to gain some very helpful information along the way.   I have just finished week three of radiation with one week left to go and then I am also due to start the dreaded Tamoxifen which like most of us I'm not looking forward to.  My diet is very healthy and I get daily exercise and have given up alcohol as i understand that increases estrogen levels but I would be very interested to hear of any other ways you have discovered that help to control estrogen and also progesterone levels. Thanks
  • Tasneem
    Options
    Hi Mezzie

Glad you are doing well and nearly towards the end of your radiation therapy. Some of the things I have learnt to keep my oestrogen levels down are to keep away from dairy products such as milk, cream etc. However, if it is fermented then it is beneficial and does not  increase oestrogen. Also avoid soya products and sugar and reduce carbs. Eating cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts, bokchoy etc reduces oestrogen. Also I have discovered Kefir which is a yoghurt like drink that has far more probiotics then yoghurt  is very helpful. For many years I suffered from constipation which I feel is one of the factors that has contributed to my cancer. Now with this change in diet and taking kefir everyday is helping me a lot. I have the kefir culture and make it at home. Also cancer cells are said to feed on sugar so avoid sugar. Hope this helps.
    Wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
  • Rapunzel
    Rapunzel Member Posts: 32
    Options
    I am finding it just too difficult to live without chocolate..... :(  BUT I do go to the gym regularly now.  I consider that a trade off ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sunshine0206
    Sunshine0206 Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Thank you @primek  for the links- evidenced based for me all the way.