Living Longer, Living Stronger exercise program

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited December 2017 in Health and wellbeing
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Options
    HI Joannie i don't know about the program you mentioned but  I'm going to be part of an exercise trial  for anybody who has had any form of cancer and is over the age of 18 in February 2018. It's called Ex-med cancer and has been set up by a prof from ACU.
    The web address is 
    www.exmedcancer.org.au
    Eligibility is over 18, any other type of cancer, must be finished all treatment (hormone therapy is fine) and be within the previous one year of treatment finishing plus a few other things that you can look up on 
    www.anzctr.org.au
    and looking up Ex-med Cancer.
    As with any trial it's free except for the sessions with the exercise physiologist at the start and the end but you may be able to claim that through your health insurance or by asking your GP to set up a Chronic Disease Management Plan and claiming it through Medicare. It runs for 3 months, 3 one hour sessions a week. They have 5 locations so far but i think are wanting to add more if they can. I think you can enrol yourself or get your health prof to refer you.
    i was looking to do more weight bearing, cardio exercise too when this was suggested to me by my surgeon so i thought why not as what i learn to do there i can take to any gym when the program is finished. See what you think. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    My sister is involved with PrYme movers at the YMCA at Broken Hill. She loves it. It is a low impact based exercise program and some exercise are modified if you have issues (such as getting on the floor...they have an alternative option) I don't know if thos is the same. They also do a PrYme Zumba. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Yes. I literally couldn't get off the floor after chemo. (Stuck in the laundry for quite a while one day after loading my front loader and couldn't get up) I did a cancer exercise group for a few weeks and it got my strength back. I can now get off the floor and back at the normal gym.....slowly becoming stronger.